Finding P&C New Insurance Companies

bodbod

How do independent agents find NEW P&C insurance companies to appoint with / write for? " Especially personal auto non standard or standard "

New as in recently formed or as in entering a new state For example "Crackfiend Insurance is now writing in FLORIDA and we are looking for agents"

New insurers are easier to appoint with but I just don't know how to know about them. Is there some type of group where they tend to be announced?

Asking especially for the state of Florida BUT anything helps.

Sometimes a small association is a good start. Iroquois Group is a good example and you can go down the rabbit hole from there, there are a few. Just make sure you own your book of business 100% and have freedom. SIAA wanted us to join bad and we almost did but read the contract where it said they basically had a say-so in how our agency was run and what we could do going forward, including asking them PERMISSION to sell the agency and then they had a say-so in who I sold it to! I asked the rep about it and it was basically "We don't enforce it, it's just a safety net for us" but I wasn't down for that at all. Its fine if we want to partner and share in LR bonuses and I'm paying a membership, but I'm not doing all that and then giving up control on an agency I built. Associations are a great place for new agents, just really read over the contracts and ask questions.

@bodbod which route you took, did you get appointed directly by carriers or had to join an association / cluster?

curious on this one too.

For smaller more regional carriers you'll have a better opportunity to get appointed independent of a network. But networks sure make it a quicker process with many other carriers.

If you're in a network, or considering joining one... you may find my youtube short video helpful: Ability to contract with carriers outside your P&C network is crucial #insuranceagency - YouTube

Back