Follow My Health Sells Ads to Agents

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Follow My Health is a patient portal used by numerous medical providers. This morning my wife got a notice about a new message on her #followmyhealth portal. When she logged in there were MULTIPLE unread messages . . . all from the same national health insurance broker . . . all attempting to entice her to click a link that will take her direct to an agent who will help her "Find a Medicare Plan that Matches You".

The letter promises to allow her to compare plans that will cover her health care and prescription needs.

Additional information about benefits not covered by Medicare and a policy to pay her directly when she is admitted to the hospital.

"Top plans based on KFF Update and Key Trends report" . . .

This certainly seems to be a HIPAA violation where the provider, perhaps unknowingly, is granting access to some level of information in patient files. The broker obviously knows her name and her age including the fact that she has Medicare. What other information is SOLD to this broker?

Also, the solicitation is for an MAPD which seems to be a CMS violation since this broker does not have an existing business relationship with my wife.

They partnered with eHealth.. CMS said this back in Feb but of course did nothing about it:

"An organization/company should not engage a patient through their health care plan patient communication portal with a purpose to market to or solicit enrollment into a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan"

Though patients do have the option to opt out of ads in FMH, the option is hard to find.

Follow My Health is a patient portal used by numerous medical providers. This morning my wife got a notice about a new message on her #followmyhealth portal. When she logged in there were MULTIPLE unread messages . . . all from the same national health insurance broker . . . all attempting to entice her to click a link that will take her direct to an agent who will help her "Find a Medicare Plan that Matches You".

The letter promises to allow her to compare plans that will cover her health care and prescription needs.

Additional information about benefits not covered by Medicare and a policy to pay her directly when she is admitted to the hospital.

This certainly seems to be a HIPAA violation where the provider, perhaps unknowingly, is granting access to some level of information in patient files. The broker obviously knows her name and her age including the fact that she has Medicare. What other information is SOLD to this broker?

Also, the solicitation is for an MAPD which seems to be a CMS violation since this broker does not have an existing business relationship with my wife.
totally inappropriate, disingenuous way to market... probably big donors to the biden campaign

Sounds like a class action waiting to happen. Any Attorneys on this board?

Sounds like a class action waiting to happen. Any Attorneys on this board?

I don't think there are any attorneys (or former attorneys) here, but probably some PrePaid Legal folks . . .

Frankly, I find this kind of thing disgusting and it has nothing to do with my feelings about Medicare PPO plans.

Back