Talked to the VP of Humana for my area.

He’s feeding you BS on the channel numbers. Just 18 months ago Humana said on an earnings call that a crazy 40%+ of ALL Humana Advantage enrollments come from just the call centers. Add all the local brokers and they’re well past 50%.

No carrier sees more than about 10% of enrollments from Medicare dot gov. Typically less, and then many of them either never accrete or don’t stay on the books long.

Humana is unique though because they have their own captive agency and their own DTC marketing. Still well over half their sales come from brokers, and hardly anything comes from the government.

Maybe their Part D biz is different.
Agreed. The guy is clueless and he's just saying it to try and minimize the agents, as usual. It's a tactic to try and make us think we're nothing and that we have no power. We have a LOT of power in determining how much business these companies get, and we need to start tactfully utilizing it.

"No carrier sees more than about 10% of enrollments from Medicare dot gov. Typically less, and then many of them either never accrete or don’t stay on the books long."

This is spot on, and it's because there is no relationship built upon trust and mutual respect, like agents have with their clients. Any moron can enroll someone (this job is not about enrolling people, it's about CONSTANTLY SERVICING them), but keeping them is another story. This is where agents have HUGE leverage. Our clients like us, trust us, and want to stay with us.

No client is gonna be loyal to an ai computer, government agent (most people hate the government), or a random customer service rep that's overseas. No one I know even wants to speak to any of these entities, and all they do is bitch to me when they have to, and rightfully so. It's never a pleasant experience.

Last edited:
Remember when, about 5 or so years ago, I think it was Humana who was first to have an official AOR pledge. We all remember when every AEP, the inbound carrier call centers would actively try to flip your clients to another plan, while you were out hustling to get new business... for that carrier!

Humana did it first, then the others followed, I think UHC was the last to do it. Even though the consensus seems that we all like writing UHC, they haven't always been as easy as they are now.

This is an illustration of how agents, collectively, were able to get the carriers to look out for our interests. It may not have been an organized effort, but just writing less business with said carrier. Does anyone know why they did that, when no other carriers were, at the time?

I do believe there is a balance, where consumers, agents, carriers, and CMS, can all be in alignment.

Perhaps we need to start asking the carriers what they are doing for the agents, to protect us from getting legislated out of the picture. Maybe we dont need an extra $100 per app, or an HRA SPIF, but instead we start asking for more long term incentives... or maybe we can have both...

I agree, making friends with c-suite positions is good, but I fear doing it as individuals won't mean as much as doing it in an organized group. Im not sure what the answer is exactly, I know there are some groups that represent the interest of agents now, but im not sure how dependent they are on the medicare line of business.
Firmly agree. I think the absolute MOST BASIC thing they can legally pledge (in writing) to do is to protect our renewals and not steal them. For companies that make us take ethics courses and pound that into our heads, then they can practice what they preach. At all these rollout meetings with insurance companies, I'm raising my hand and bringing this to the forefront of all their area managers' minds. If you don't promise to protect our regular earned income/renewals, then I'm not doing business with you. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
There will always be a need for an agent when there’s competition amongst other carriers , the problem with selling a plan over the phone or online is that I feel a lot of the comprehension is lost , many people like to see and have a concept before they commit . At the corporate level it makes sense to him because it’s just raw numbers , they do not see all the footwork that goes into getting someone to sign up for a particular carrier . And you have to also be aware that a lot of those enrollments are Medicaid agents signing up LIS Rx plans and DSNPs . I’m sure we could argue that his job isn’t really needed either , I mean what do they really do? At the end of the day he’s just a human like you and me trying to justify his role , he’s no smarter than us . I know this is a Humana post but F$&@ Michael Carson from WellCare

The agent is going to become less and less important.

When selling a commodity, the agent needs to make him/herself an integral part of the process.

For my entire career, my product line was identical to what everyone else was offering. I learned how to pitch "me" vs the product.

You can get my product anywhere, at the same price I quoted. What you won't get is me.

None of us have a crystal ball.
Carriers don't give a damn about agents . . . no matter what they say.

The best thing an agent can do is limit their downside risk and stay light on their feet. You never know when the government, or carrier, will decide to pull the rug out from under your feet.

It has happened to me so many times I lost count. What I do now is far removed from where I started in this business in 1975.
Exactly Carriers don't give a damn about agents, and for the most part the govt doesn't give a damn about the carriers or us, unless of course it's the money trail issues.

Some of us are old enough to remember Assurant, American community, World...here for awhile it ws just two carriers strong and neither were paying much.

"if you love your doctor, you can keep him/her; families will save up to 1200 per year...." Ring a bell?

American community was the only one to even reach out with a check in the mail. the last one.....and that wasnt the carrier that paid for my life.

Never saw so many agents scatter at once. One day living the high life, the next, done....Many ended up in Medicare....some in other careers, food trucks, garage doors, real estate, financial planning....

Can't wait to see what happens if the far left extremist Kamala gets in office. If anyone thinks it can't happen and theyll always need agents....think again. what do you think will happen when private carriers are in the shitter. It's happened before and it CAN happen again. Our govt continues to make repetitive mistakes. Take the rose colored glasses off.

We are safe for now, but never hurts to, as Somarco says, stay light on the feet. My once coveted American Dream changed drastically after Obamacare....turned out fine fast forward a few years, but not without incredible determination to thrive, And a whole lot of tears in my beers.

Tallyho....that's all i got today besides T65

When selling a commodity, the agent needs to make him/herself an integral part of the process.

For my entire career, my product line was identical to what everyone else was offering. I learned how to pitch "me" vs the product.

You can get my product anywhere, at the same price I quoted. What you won't get is me.
Bingo

Back