Talked to the VP of Humana for my area.

I asked him what he thought about Wellcare not paying commissions. He seemed surprised and said he didn't hear anything. When I told him he was so callous about it. He was like, "times are changing", then he said, "last year we had more enrollments from Medicare.gov and through the Humana website then those coming from agents. Blew me away with how he was almost like companies are trying to get rid of agents all together. They don't want to pay commissions if they don't have to. They want us out and are trying to figure out everyday how to do that.
As the seniors become more admire tech savvy and get more used to shoping online, etc. you are going to see even larger numbers of them buying from insrace websites and Medicare.gov. The agent is going to become less and less important.

As the seniors become more admire tech savvy and get more used to shoping online, etc. you are going to see even larger numbers of them buying from insrace websites and Medicare.gov. The agent is going to become less and less important.
Respectfully highly disagree. Doing their paperwork is a small aspect of this job. Most seniors lack the knowledge to navigate this field. Sure, as the years go on, they’ll get more tech savvy at navigating websites, but the average senior that I talk to (to no fault of their own) is absolutely 100% clueless about anything insurance.

I do ACA market, too, and this holds true even for 26 year old’s. And it's not only that...most don't even want to be bothered doing any of it, nor do they have the energy. My guess is 1 part entitlement and 1 part being burned out from life, already.

The tech isn’t the issue, a massive lack of knowledge is. The value of an agent is ongoing council for seniors, which is a major help in saving these companies business that would’ve otherwise left. And also bringing these companies a lot of clients/busness.

They can try to cut out the agent, but it always fails, for the reasons I mentioned. Same way they already tried with the ACA market and it massively failed.

I hate to bring politics into this, but it's relevant....every time the commies (they're really not real Democrats) get in, since Obama in 2009, they always try this, and it always fails. Because they hate all things insurance and just want total control.

As a result, they create an environment that's more incentivized to cut the agents out and expand big government....and the companies looking to cut costs stupidly go along with it, not seeing the big overall picture in the long-run. Buuuuuut.....

Government employees are garbage. They have no skin in the game, therefore they don’t care, and there’s not many of them.

People don't want to talk to computers or government agents who they don't know, who they don't trust (<---this is also a huge factor nowadays in the modern world...people ONLY want to deal with people they trust), and who couldn't care less.

If there's any decision-makers in the insurance companies reading this, I can't stress this enough...... Government employees are not gonna help your company grow or retain clients at all.

Hell, my clients can't even stand calling the companies and talking to their low paid overseas agents. They are always furious and a typical thing they say is something like "Yea, I spoke with some dumb clueless person who I could barely understand and I got nowhere...." It's never a pleasant experience for them, unless it's me.

When they tried this with the ACA, it was just mass confusion and chaos. They can try it again, and mark my words, it will fail again, as history repeats itself because new people that didn’t experience it come onboard.

At the end of the day, trusted agents/actual people are what drives business to you and actually retains them. In the overall scheme of things, we are a minuscule expense for what these companies make.

They don't have to even pay us benefits, and there is zero liability because we are contractors. Just a simple small commission, and a stupid company like WellCare can't even be bothered with that.

They will see how this works out for them, and it won't be "Well".....mark my words. If you actually treat us agents well, it breeds loyalty and you will have a thriving business. Again, mark my words, and come back to this in many years and you'll see I was right about this...humbly.

Last edited:
To do any insurance correctly, you have to commit days and weeks to become knowledgeable enough to make the right decision.

Too many subjects to stay on top of: government regs and changes weekly, taxes, income, financial planning, family, aptc, CSR silver, family glitch, MP3, irmaa, eligibility determination, correct enrollment, network chnsges, carrier differences, prescriptions, claims, personal health, group plans, creditable coverage, LEP, medicaid, chip, soc sec, pharmacies, canada, goodrx, etc etc etc

Ai can't do this, and I remember when the internet was supposed to replace agents. Didn't happen. Only grew my biz. Google has all the answers now and people still won't take time to research, they don't have the time. As I don't have time and hence why I hire out other professions like accountant, fin advisor, air cond, realtor, plumber, etc

If commissions go away, fees will become the replacement income

To do any insurance correctly, you have to commit days and weeks to become knowledgeable enough to make the right decision.

Too many subjects to stay on top of: government regs and changes weekly, taxes, income, financial planning, family, aptc, CSR silver, family glitch, MP3, irmaa, eligibility determination, correct enrollment, network chnsges, carrier differences, prescriptions, claims, personal health, group plans, creditable coverage, LEP, medicaid, chip, soc sec, pharmacies, canada, goodrx, etc etc etc

Ai can't do this, and I remember when the internet was supposed to replace agents. Didn't happen. Only grew my biz. Google has all the answers now and people still won't take time to research, they don't have the time. As I don't have time and hence why I hire out other professions like accountant, fin advisor, air cond, realtor, plumber, etc

This is the way.

if commissions go away, i'll just sell another product that pays commissions

I’m leaning towards $0 premium Whole Life. I think it has legs
This reminds me of an agent way back in the day...80's

He would write a big final expense policy, collect an annual premium and tell the client it was a single premium policy. When the premium came due the following year and the client called to ask why, he would tell them just to not send it in, that the company made a mistake in sending the premium notice.

He finally lost his license, and I think he did a little time.

Back