Following Up After Cold Knock.

onefastpony

Guru
100+ Post Club
To give everyone a brief overview of me...I've been selling life for one year next month. I've been keeping my head above water but haven't yet reached my stride. I know and understand this is a long journey and I'm commited to being successful.

One thing that I feel will help with my success is me being able to follow up with cold knocks more efficiently. I average about 100-150 cold walk-ins on businesses a week and like I mentioned before I'm keeping my head above water. But the true problem lies in me following up with the person who showed an interest/curiosity.

I mainly promote using IUL as a supplement to retirement but only after finding what the true need of the client is. I just have a very difficult time using the phone. When I call a prospect back after meeting them cold I struggle to ask for an appointment and would like some help.

Could some of the great people on here give me a few pointers in asking for the appointment??? I feel that I have a great grasp of the IUL but of course am always learning.

Here is an example:
I met a prospect at a young professionals group this past week. After the luncheon we began talking and I gave him my card after he asked for it. At this point I had not mentioned what I did but was more focused on learning about him and trying to assess his needs by asking pointed questions that didn't seem like I was trying to sell him.

Once I gave him my card he then says "Oh Man! I spoke with a Financial Advisor a few years ago but never followed up with finding out how much life insurance I needed and now I'm married and have two kids, I really know I need it now."

The prospect didn't have his cards on him so later that day I received an email FROM HIM with all his contact information. He is begging to set an appointment!! But I've yet to call him because I'm terrified of the phone.

Please help!!:goofy:

The prospect didn't have his cards on him so later that day I received an email FROM HIM with all his contact information. He is begging to set an appointment!! But I've yet to call him because I'm terrified of the phone.

Give me his number, I'll call him.

If someone emails you and wants you to call, what is there to be afraid of? He is asking for your call.

If someone emails you and wants you to call, what is there to be afraid of? He is asking for your call.

I appreciate that but I just called him and left a VM.

I always feel like I'm going to trip on my words and sound like a boob on the phone. In person I'm dead on, I can read the persons body language, the phone is an entirely different beast.

This.....

You also may want to make a point to start each day by calling to check in on a current customer. This will give you some practice talking on the phone with people that already like you, and strengthen your relationship with your customer base.

Send him an email tell him you are a big wussy and you would like for him to call you.

Or just email him and ask him when would be a good time to meet up and discuss your situation. I'm open on Tuesday 6:00 pm or Thursday at 7:30

Centralsolution offers an excellent idea. Calling a friendly voice first can certainly help ease you into things.

One other thing I find helpful is to jot down a couple of key words or phrases about what you want to cover. Don't write a script, just a note or two.

This will help you stay focused and on point.

Andy

Pony, you've got to put yourself out there. It's a numbers game. But most importantly, this person is already reaching out to you. Just let it happen. It just takes one successful result when out of your comfort zone, and then suddenly that zone will begin to expand.

A rule of thumb for me is to follow the mode of contact set by a client if he or she is the one who initiated the conversation. This prospect has your email and phone number and has implied, by virtue of his email to you, that he prefers email over phone contact. So....email him instead of calling him.

A rule of thumb for me is to follow the mode of contact set by a client if he or she is the one who initiated the conversation. This prospect has your email and phone number and has implied, by virtue of his email to you, that he prefers email over phone contact. So....email him instead of calling him.

If I email you and ask you to call me, I don't want you to email me. I want you to call me otherwise I would have told you to email me.

If I email you and ask you to call me, I don't want you to email me. I want you to call me otherwise I would have told you to email me.

I apologize. I must have missed the part where the prospect made a specific request for a phone call instead of an email.

Back