Foreign Travel and Medicare

jemelton

Guru
100+ Post Club
So I have a client that needs a med supp but is going to be in Central America for 6 months...I have read that Medicare does not generally cover claims outside the US and that foreign travel emergency is for the first 60 days of the trip.

Is there a travel insurance I can sell them or I can guide them to for care in a foreign country? Thanks in advance.

Plan F gives them $50,000 of international coverage with a $250 deductible. It's a reimbursement situation, so they'll need to have bills translated, etc. I've helped with a couple of claims, most carriers make it easy for you.
Having an additional travel policy on top is good too. I use Seven Corners.

The $50k foreign travel benefit isn't worth much. Offer them an international medical plan. Dirt cheap (even for a 6 month plan). Much better than hoping the Medigap pays off.

Plan F gives them $50,000 of international coverage with a $250 deductible. It's a reimbursement situation, so they'll need to have bills translated, etc. I've helped with a couple of claims, most carriers make it easy for you. Having an additional travel policy on top is good too. I use Seven Corners.
In addition to F, plans C, D, G, M, and N provide the same foreign travel emergency health care coverage. Those who have off the market plans E, H, I, and J also provide foreign travel emergency coverage. Wouldn't want anyone new to the business believing F was anything special regarding this benefit.

Are you trying to get coverage for emergencies in Central America? Where they go to hospital in that country, receive treatment and then get reimbursement?

That's a Medicare Supp issue. Pick one.

OR are you trying to get them coverage so they are flown back to the United States for emergency coverage? I use MedJet Assist for that.

Are you trying to get coverage for emergencies in Central America? Where they go to hospital in that country, receive treatment and then get reimbursement?

That's a Medicare Supp issue. Pick one.

OR are you trying to get them coverage so they are flown back to the United States for emergency coverage? I use MedJet Assist for that.

He said they'll be gone for 6 months. The supplement is only good for 60 days.

I spent 5 mos. in Panama City, Panama a few years ago. Had health ins. with a Co. called Pan American Life or something similar. Bought it thru a broker (Patty somebody, US expat) after I got there. Very similar system to US with co-pays and coinsurance. Good Docs and Hospitals. Johns Hopkins is one. It was really cheap, maybe 100-120 a month for a 60 yr. old. Take the 60 days and shop around. You do have to establish an address of some kind.

International travel medical is much more than med evac (which can run several thousand). I had a client a few years ago that got deathly ill in the Amazon. Bills ran over $250k including evac to a local hospital, several weeks there to stabilize, plus air ambulance back to the states. Translation of medical records was $8k.

You want something good that will pay. Most of these type plans have a lot of gotcha's. Don't just shop on price.

Back