Free Prospects

GMANPRO

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hey guys,

I am having an issue trying to figure out ways to get free prospects. What I have so far is:

1- Telemarketing
2- Friends and Family
3- Door Knocking

Any other ideas?

Hey guys,

I am having an issue trying to figure out ways to get free prospects. What I have so far is:

1- Telemarketing
2- Friends and Family
3- Door Knocking

Any other ideas?

Looks like you already know the answer. Although, I'd take out #2.
Stick with with 1 & 3. If you put the time in, the results will follow.

Looks like you already know the answer. Although, I'd take out #2.
Stick with with 1 & 3. If you put the time in, the results will follow.

Thanks man. I know it seems simple, I guess I thought more of my friends and family would hop on board...

I have 1200 apartments in the complex I live in so I guess I will start there. Do Saturdays seem good for door knocking?

Thanks man. I know it seems simple, I guess I thought more of my friends and family would hop on board...

I have 1200 apartments in the complex I live in so I guess I will start there. Do Saturdays seem good for door knocking?

Yes, and that seems like an ideal place to door knock, as well. Try to hit up 1-200 of them on Sat and set appointments for next week. That should net you a nice response. If it goes well, you'll be the local go-to insurance guy for that huge complex.

Wait a while for family and friends. They know what you're doing now. Once they see you're estabolished and doing well, they'll start coming to you.

Yes, and that seems like an ideal place to door knock, as well. Try to hit up 1-200 of them on Sat and set appointments for next week. That should net you a nice response. If it goes well, you'll be the local go-to insurance guy for that huge complex.

Wait a while for family and friends. They know what you're doing now. Once they see you're estabolished and doing well, they'll start coming to you.

Ok thanks. I am doing P&C for a major company btw. do you still think I should just set up appointments or should I try to quote them then and there?

If you're thinking about telemarketing you can get free leads from ReferenceUSA at most libraries (not many, but a few each day) or you can check out FreeTelemarketingScripts.com and ask for 50 free records that will scrub for you and also give you married homeowners with estimated FICO scores of 650+ if you'd like. I have the 50 listed for free, but if you mention this and include your username on the forum I'll have Brian kick you another 50 so you'll have a total of 100 for free.

That sound like a good deal?

If you're thinking about telemarketing you can get free leads from ReferenceUSA at most libraries (not many, but a few each day) or you can check out FreeTelemarketingScripts.com and ask for 50 free records that will scrub for you and also give you married homeowners with estimated FICO scores of 650+ if you'd like. I have the 50 listed for free, but if you mention this and include your username on the forum I'll have Brian kick you another 50 so you'll have a total of 100 for free.

Now, if only you would throw in a free lobster dinner with that, that would be a REALLY good deal! :laugh:

Ok thanks. I am doing P&C for a major company btw. do you still think I should just set up appointments or should I try to quote them then and there?

Get a feel for them. If they're not busy, do an on-the-spot appointment. If they don't have time, set up a time for during the week.
Make sure you do a good fact finder of everything you offer.
Then, go one by one and compare their current coverage (or whatever they're missing) with what you offer. If you can or cannot beat their rates- tell them. They'll get a sense of you as an honest agent and hopefully secure your spot as the go-to insurance guy in the complex.

If I were you I'd take @tins advice and NOT bother friends and fam, till you get really good (then, you won't need their biz...but that's another story)

Also, I wouldn't blast 1200 doors where I lived while "training" it may seem like a good idea but I wouldn't recommend "eating where you poop" for a few reasons:

a) Make your mistakes else where or you'll constantly see 'em in the parking garage.
b) Your neighbors that you "woke up" will always have 24 hours access to your door.
Ask the on-site maintenance, if ppl abide by the 8am -8pm hours listed on his door.
c) You want to train in the "real" field like a real warrior...if you're successful in "your building" once your out of doors you might be out of gas. If you train with "strangers" you'll know no boundaries and your "success" will be with you forever and there won't be any confusion in your head as to "I can only "cold" knock in my 'WARM' building".

I'm not saying don't knock any of your building, cause it's better than nothing but I'd be against it being your ONLY place to knock.

I'd much prefer slapping up some cards on the doors of your neighbors or some invites, inviting to your co-tenants to YOUR "bar b q & insurance educational review"... (Just to say "hey 'yall and shake some hands and make some NEW friends :1wink:

With 1200 doors you could you invite 75 neighbors once a month and have relaxed weekend conversations for over a year while building a customer base with 3 packs of hotdogs and a few pounds of ground round, bro.

Invite 75, if 10% show up... quickly say "howdy neighbor" give 'em a dog and some relish and chill..... answer a few questions, offer to walk a quote to"your" neighbor's door, later in the week...Offer to pick up those "ole insurance policies" they have laying around in their apartments just feet away and you'll "review 'em" for your new buddies.
C'mon man you're out in the courtyard watching the games on Saturdays or after church time on Sunday afternoon.

Don't forget to write off all those dogs and buns, remember you're a tenant ......
I'd imagine you'd be able to bar b q and talk to your own co-tenants, just do it slowly so you don't burn your whole building or wind up with too big of a turn out to be useful.
( I wouldn't "bother" the office w/ this activity as you're simply a tenant talking to co-tenants.....no one's going stop ppl from talking and enjoying the grounds you pay for...unless YOU go asking for trouble by making a big deal out of it.....if ppl can hold a small birthday party you can have a damn bar b q, if you don't go off half-cocked w/ ppl thinking you're about to hold a damn insurance convention)

I'd assume with 1200 doors, there are several buildings and different sides of the complex so a small bar b q near building 2 wouldn't be a news maker over at building 6.

We used to do this sort of thing with a table, a few chairs and a grocery store run..... most buildings have the Q pit already there, if not $30 bucks, big deal.

If on one shows up, watch the game yourself and eat dogs and burgers for a few days, what's to lose.

You haven't worn out your "welcome" by cold knocking your neighbors and now they've come to YOU.

Not free but pretty, cheap.

If you could talk to 6-10 prospects that:

a) See you as a neighbor, not some dude walking thru
b) See you as the big shot feeding folks ($20-30 bucks, tops)
c) Most likely have their insurance paperwork within walking distance.
d) Can have their spouse "look" out the window and "see" the guy, maybe even "wave" cause you sent over a "cheap" plate

Would you spend $3-5 bucks (on average) each to have "decent"conversations vs quickies at cold doors.

You've now "purchased" the right to say "hey" whenever you want cause that mooch ate your food...where it may be hard to go back to re-knock a "cold" block..... you can certainly ring "your neighbor's" doorbell and say "remember me from the bar b q, we saw a little bit of the basketball game....I was just wondering"

Hell, rent a bouncer for the kids and say a parent needs to come by and sign off that it's ok for the kid to jump for 30 minutes ( you now have a few FREE minutes as the nice insurance guy in the complex to speak to PARENTS of kids for the $50 bucks it costs to rent the damn jumper plus $5 bucks for the flyers)

If you are willing to knock, great but there are cheap ways to buy the same "exclusive" conversations w/o getting doors slammed in your face.

Not saying door knocking isn't a good idea cause it is but some of us are just not going to do it.

If you fit that category and don't have a lot of scratch there are still ways to "create" cheap exclusive leads w/ a little imagination and a little spin.:biggrin:

*You can always door knocks during the week and still hold a "cheap" event once a month....it ALL works if you WORK.

* Have attendees "help" you with your market research by filling out a quick survey....that helps if you aren't a natural at command an audience or don't know what to say, just collect meekly your "leads" for 1 on 1 follow up.

Last edited:
If you're thinking about telemarketing you can get free leads from ReferenceUSA at most libraries (not many, but a few each day) or you can check out FreeTelemarketingScripts.com and ask for 50 free records that will scrub for you and also give you married homeowners with estimated FICO scores of 650+ if you'd like. I have the 50 listed for free, but if you mention this and include your username on the forum I'll have Brian kick you another 50 so you'll have a total of 10
0 for free.

Josh is giving you some great advice, it's quality not quantity. Research your market, if your apartment complex is lower income you may end up getting more rejection. You can target your market send a short letter why their missing out by not dealing with you. Follow up with a phone call, this will allow you to qualify your prospect, and not spin your wheels.

Back