From ACA to AHCA - ObamaCare to TrumpCare

My employer (80+ employees) offers group insurance. I am a cancer survivor. 59 yrs old. Is AHCA going to effect rates and/or my ability to be insured? What do have to worry about?

My employer (80+ employees) offers group insurance. I am a cancer survivor. 59 yrs old. Is AHCA going to effect rates and/or my ability to be insured? What do have to worry about?

At this point, I wouldn't worry (which I get is easy for ME to say), however, there are a few reasons:

1. Any changes won't take place until 2020
2. You are part of a "large" group, which is defined by 51+ employees, so the EHB waivers do not apply based on the current language in the bill
3. Your goal is not age 65. Its 63.5 with 18 months of COBRA to get you to your 65th birthday
4. Rates aren't going down on the Individual side and group rates will keep going up 20% every year.

Hang in there!!!

Last edited:
At this point, I wouldn't worry (which I get is easy for ME to say), however, there are a few reasons:

1. Any changes won't take place until 2020
2. You are part of a "large" group, which is defined by 51+ employees, so the EHB waivers do not apply based on the current language in the bill
3. Your goal is not age 65. Its 63.5 with 18 months of COBRA to get you to your 65th birthday
4. Rates aren't going down on the Individual side and group rates will keep going up 20% every year.

Hang in there!!!

Thank you for your input. My goal is to work until 72, kid still in HS for another 3 years. Then there is college. We are on MN. Husband has me scared. No health issues with him. I provide the health care thru my employer. Kid is 15. What are EHB waivers? Thanks again.

A note of caution, If you are in an employment at will state, your employer may choose not to cooperate with your plan.

Latest amendments yesterday was to add a 6 mo wait for anyone with a break in coverage....

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...uninsured-in-the-gop-health-care-bill/531678/

Under a provision added Monday to the Senate GOP’s health-care bill, an individual who is uninsured for more than 63 days would have to wait half a year to gain new health coverage. Like Obamacare’s mandate tax, the waiting period is a punishment designed to encourage people to maintain insurance coverage rather than wait until they get sick to purchase a plan and drive up costs for everyone else.

Back