Future of Cobra?

ABC

Guru
1000 Post Club
With GI coming in 2014 there will not be a need for Cobra.

I wonder if companies will still have to offer it or will DC change the law?

I don't necessarily agree with that. COBRA is the extension of the group plan which offers a lot of upside so someone who's merely changing jobs - especially if they have condition. Otherwise they'd have to apply and wait for a GI plan to be approved.

How long will it take to issue a GI plan if the person had prior coverage? Till the first of the month, maybe?

The reason cobra will continue to exist, at least for a while, is that group plans will probably continue to be more feature rich than individual plans AND if a person has a health issue, has met their deductible for the year under the group plan, they may want to stay covered with that plan until at least the calendar year end.

Cobra will evolve though.

Dan

Maybe, maybe not. Tell me what Group/IFP benefits and rates look like in 2014 and I can give you my best guess.

My best guess is IFP will be 50% higher (forgetting all about health insurance inflation) and group will be about the same is it currently is (again, ignoring inflation factors).

Why? A lot less changes for group then for IFP. In fact, a lot of small group was written to cover individuals that were not insurable. Because of this, some non-profitable small group may break up and go IFP to take better advantage of subsidies.

The groups that are left will be at least as healthy as they currently are, perhaps a bit healthier, meaning premiums don't have to increase.

Yes, there are a lot of other external factors, but, I don't think the overall landscape for small group changes, except for perhaps the number of companies that look for coverage.

Dan

Good feedback

I think Cobra will be gone which could save groups money by not having to paying for Cobra Admin.

If you have GI on the indy side you can design the plan as needed.

I hate Cobra Admin on the group side. Its such a pain to setup with the TPAs. Yesterday I spoke with a large Cobra admin and they told they think cobra will be gone.

That is one change that I will take with open arms.

some non-profitable small group may break up and go IFP to take better advantage of subsidies.

More likely, they will pay the fine and say adios to group health . . .

Back