Geico

No one probably pays attention to this thread anymore, but I wanted to share my experience with the Government Employees Insurance Company.

If anyone calls me for a quote, and then tells me that GIECO is 300 dollars cheaper then what I quoted, I ask them if GIECO matched the coverages of their current policy. Most of the time, they didn't; they quoted them at the state minimum in Maryland at 20/40/15. It's one thing to be single, no wife or childeren, and renting an apartment, but a lot of these people will leave Allstate or State Farm (who they have been with for 20 years) and don't realize that they are getting shafted.

And now, apparently, you can go see your local, friendly, GIECO agent. Wonder how long that will last.

Does anyone here work for GEICO? I haven’t read anything about them on here except one that showed a link to getting your own field office. How are they to work for? Reasonable? Fair? Demanding?

I am still studying for my license and I am interested in working for them. Thanks.

T

there's a website called jobvent that doesn't seem to leave me with the impression they're a very good company to work for. never worked there, but the posts seem brutal.

I've worked for Safeco, Travelers and GEICO. For the last 10 years it's been GEICO. Like any business, your happiness working there will depend on your goals and personality. GEICO has a very small group of agents in field offices. The bulk of the work and jobs are at large, regional contact centers. If you work hard and exceed goals you will do well. GEICO has been very very good to me, even in lean years. Almost all of management, including our CEO come from entry level jobs within GEICO. So the opportunities are there. If you want to sell or service polices, they will pay for and prepare you for the P&C exam. Most entry level jobs will be service, sales or claims. GEICO does have a rigorous hiring process and once you're in the expectations are high, but the rewards are too. Folks who are lazy or have bad attitudes or the ones that don't work for us very long. If you want a paycheck, I'd pass on us. If you want a career, then take a look.

Go to our website, and click on the far right tab that says about GEICO, there is a jobs link. You can search what GEICO is looking for in your area.

Good luck no matter what you decide to do :biggrin:

PS I'm actually in CA, not AL

Last edited:
lol...insurance agents in this thread trying to defend their over-priced and over-hyped insurance. and people wonder why everyone hates insurance companies?

I thought that Geico was web based only. No agents at all.

Perhaps you guys should focus on the claims process and response times as selling points. I happen to know that Geico has damn few local adjusters in most areas especially when compared with other carriers, ie. Progressive, Farmers, etc...

More often then not if someone is a good risk I have better rates than GEICO. But I've seen what others mentioned with the online and 800 number companies giving people far less coverage than they had previously and people think they're getting a great deal. It doesn't matter what company(ies) you work with, if someone only cares about the price, they can always find someone cheaper than you. They may not be getting the same coverage though, and if they don't care, then you probably don't want them as clients anyway. Let GEICO take the E&O hit.

GEICO is hot/cold in my area. Sometimes I'm the bug and sometimes I'm the windshield when I quote against them. My own personal experience was a few months ago when I called to help my friend out. He needed basic limits and I was trying to see how GEICO would do for him. The rep on the phone went right to basic limits. He didn't ask any questions to determine this, he just went right to it. When I asked for clarification on some coverages he seemed annoyed and in the end he pushed hard to know "what type of credit card would you like to put this on?"

Years ago I worked for an insurance agency that had a call center in Virginia area. They employed many former GEICO employees. They were terrible. My favorite line I was told to use when the wife said she wanted to discuss with her husband: "Mrs. X, if you found a $50 bill on the sidewalk, would you have to ask your husband to pick it up?" Unbelievable that anyone would do business with that guy. But he had top sales most months.

Back