Gerber Life Medicare Supplement

"What's the holdup? Gotta take off your shoes to count?"
============================================

As soon as I figure out how to get this knot out of my shoe laces I will get on with it..........

"What's the holdup? Gotta take off your shoes to count?"
============================================

As soon as I figure out how to get this knot out of my shoe laces I will get on with it..........

I figgered you wuz city folk... out here in the country we don't wear shoes... so we is faster at ciferin'.:laugh:

How many more federal reserve notes would they have to print to make that happen? Or how much more would they have to cut provider reimbursement?

Limit the OOP to 3k (or even 5-6k, maybe even more) and there's very little or no need for MA either.

You hit the nail on the head with this comment. Our country is drowning in a sea of red ink with the unfunded liabilities to Medicare as it is. You can't increase benefits unless you raise taxes or cannibalize another program for its funds (remember what Reagan did with Social Security funds and "Star Wars"?)

Did you know that it has been estimated that your out of pocket costs under Original Medicare approaches $90,000 in a worst case scenario? Medicare was never meant to cover all health care costs. We are in a generation that "knows their rights". They want it all, and for somebody else to pay for it. That's the appeal for Medicare Advantage plans... but guess what? MA MOOPs are skyrocketing as MAOs struggle to keep their heads above water. If it continues the way it is going, it won't be long before people jump from MAs to Med Sups to "save money".

Getting back to the subject of rates for the plans, which is what the client is interested in, I did a little exercise with some of the carriers I am contracted with.

I chose a plan F because all Gerber sells in Kansas and Missouri is A, F, and G, so F is common to both states. (I am too lazy to do plan G at the moment)

My prospect is a non-smoking male, age 66, in the KC Metro area.

On the KS side...
AARP (community rated)= $192.50
Sterling Investors = $148.02
Gerber = $136.85
United World = $122.92

Over in MO.....
Sterling Investors = $ 277.39
AARP (attained age) = $ 172.50
Gerber = $ 169.67
United of Omaha = $ 168.22

I know which one I would pick in Kansas..... Missouri could be a toss-up.

That shows you the damage that the GI law does in MO. UW has been on the street in KS for what?... 3-4 years now? And they are still the best deal going. I've got clients in KS with a 05 issue dates that are still cheaper than anything else being offered.

UW has come and gone in MO and we've already taken a rate increase for UO in MO.

I call the MO GI law our Sweet/Sour provision. It has it's sweet part and it's sour parts.

In PA, United World as of 11/1/09 will have a 9% rate increase
across the board for Med Supp's.

This will put Gerber at the lowest priced MS in PA IMO.

That shows you the damage that the GI law does in MO. UW has been on the street in KS for what?... 3-4 years now? And they are still the best deal going. I've got clients in KS with a 05 issue dates that are still cheaper than anything else being offered.

UW has come and gone in MO and we've already taken a rate increase for UO in MO.

I call the MO GI law our Sweet/Sour provision. It has it's sweet part and it's sour parts.

Yes, but did you note the disparity between the SILIC rates?

There is no excuse for that. UW/UO is in line with what you would expect, as is Gerber. AARP disparity is due to commmunity rating vs attained age, but over $100/mo higher rate for SILIC in KS? You gotta be kiddin' me!

Last edited:
Are the gerber apps available yet? I thought they were going to mail me some but that has been two weeks ago...can we print some online??

Back