Giving back to the board

John, I think that is an excellent idea. As a fairly new agent (3 yrs in the industry) I just now am figuring out what works and what doesn't. One of the disadvantages for agents that come into this industry that even with the training that captive companies provide, there still is a lot of "trial and error" for the inexperienced agent.

I think the concept of "Insurance selling for dummies" is really right at the pulse of what newbies need the most. I would like to think of the "baby steps" that any agent has to do to get a firm grip on how to go from prospecting to appointment to closing. I know that for me it was very frustrating knowing how to find your market or niche and from there develop a strategy of how to build a client base.

There is a multitude of "get rich quick" schemes and supposedly "experts" that tell you how you're gonna get rich selling insurance. Reality says that it takes systematic daily activities that build confidence, self esteem, discipline among many others that build success in this busines.

Question is....how do we make this work? I'm more than willing to contribute to this cause with no personal or monetary gain. I don't desire nor have the intestinal fortitude to put something like that together on my own, but more than willing to share my experiences and strategies i've used in my own career.

"BUY MY PROGRAM AND I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO BECOME RICH SELLING INSURANCE!"

foghorn8lw3.gif

Al3 wrote: "I'd like to publish to the insurance agent/agency sector."

As a new agent, I'd recommend a broader market. Speaking from recent experience, there's a huge, untapped segment out there. It probably falls into three categories:

#1 - The "What Color Is My Parachute?" variety: I can't begin to count the number of friends and former coworkers who are seeking an independent career path -- in anything -- to avoid the corporate grind. They haven't even taken the first steps to getting into the business.

#2 - The "I Think Insurance Looks Good" variety: They're considering quitting their corporate jobs and go into business for themselves, and for whatever reason, they think insurance might be a good gig. When I was in this position last summer, I scoured bookstores and libraries for good texts on how to become an agent, what the working conditions were actually like, and whether it was worth trying. If I'd stumbled upon a book like you're considering, I'd have gladly paid $20 or more retail for it.

#3 - The "I Just Got Licensed, Now What?" variety. They don't have a GA. They don't know anyone in the business except the licensing school lady who took $225 to "train" them. They're lost, and they need direction. It seems like that's where most of the "newbies" fall here on the forum.

#4 - The "I Got Jipped by NASE" variety. They quit their corporate jobs, got licensed, and excitedly joined whoever recruited them first. They don't know what independent means, let alone how to go about it. They're scarred by their experiences with bad carriers / uplines and need a fresh outlook.

My point is that targeting up & running agents who have intricate underwriting questions is a great idea, but I'd also try to hit people who are seeking a new, independent career path and are just at the "researching the options stage." With more layoffs / early retirements and employers demanding more for less, this segment will continue to grow. And, I'd also add that the book should take a no-holds-barred, honest approach. No candy-coating. It should be like "Boot Camp for Prospective Agents."

Just my $0.02!

[/i]

It would have to be a collaborative effort. No single agent knows enough about all areas of insurance to write a comprehensive "how do" book.

Plus, most books are still generalizations. I'd like something with specifics:

"Look, here's how to contract with Assurant, Golden Rule, Unicare and Blue Cross and here's what they pay."

And now we run into another problem; compliance. Blue Cross might not want you writing about their commission structure in a book and claim you can't do it - same with Assurant, Golden Rule or Aetna - especially if it ends up painting them in bad light.

Ironically, someone without a license could write that book almost without any problems. A licensed agent would most likely get a phone call from "ABC company's" legal dep't saying "who authorized you to write about us in a book?"

Many people have asked my why I haven't written something about health insurance. First, I don't have the time. Secondly, you can't even mention the name of an insurance company without getting authorization. If they found out I was selling a book, a company like Assurant could claim that I'm advertising them without their permission. I could lose my appointment. There are many things companies don't really want to become common knowlege - like the difference between the MGA and RSD channels. And if I write a book promoting the RSD channel just imagine if that book became extremely popular to the point that the MGA channel was harmed. Not I'm in a world of crap.

I have a few comments to make about this idea.

1. I think that it is a great idea to package some of the already discussed information into articles or chapters that people can read without wading through all of the old threads.

2. I think that a complete compilation is a great idea and harnessing the expertise and experience of all of the board members is a great idea.

3. I think that charging for such a book is fraught with perils. Whenever there is money at stake, there will be disagreements and problems.

4. I certainly did not foresee how much money I would put into the forum, but ultimately, we are not talking about millions of dollars here. I don't envision the need for a constant stream of income for the forum, just a small amount for upkeep and growth.

5. That photography forum has a lot of nice features, and it is my dream to have a similar infrastructure, where there will be articles and resources available besides the forum, and the forum can function at it's best as a hub for NEW ideas, instead of constantly rehashing the old ones. One idea I have been toying with is enabling google adsense ads to support the programming costs. The forum software has a possible feature whereby the ads will only show to guests, but not to signed in members. That way, those who are stopping by will help support the costs and those who are contributing won't be annoyed by them. I doubt that it would produce much income, but it might pay for hosting costs.

In short, I think that it is a great idea to make a collaborative work for new agents, but I really don't love the idea of charging for it. I think that we all enjoy the positive feelings of helping out new agents, and we can accomplish that without making them buy something. Not that it wouldn't be worth their while to pay for it, but I think there are easier ways of supporting the costs of the forum.
In addition, I think that people will be even more generous with their time and expertise by writing articles/chapters that they are experts on, if they know that no one is going to get rich on the back of their hard work!

We at least need stickies on each folder that gives the basic "ABCs." Very soon a lot of us are going to find that we're giving the same advice over and over and over. I empathize with people who are new to the board and industry so I don't mind replying to their posts and emails. But I'd much rather say "just read the sticky under health insurance."

A great idea to compile info together, and attempt to reduce redundancy but......I have learned a ton in the last 4-5 weeks by sifting through all the posts of the last six months. I consider this time spent as one of the most meaningful and lasting educational experiences of my life. Honestly! I have read a lot of crap along with the good but it all has come together for me and provided insight that would be difficult gain through a condensed version. I probably would not have done this if I wasn't so frustrated selling insurance over the last 3 yrs. but, those three years have given determination to make this work. I am just lucky to have found this forum in time.

My suggestion would be a compilation of posts called "Beware" for newbies.

By the way, sold my 1st health policy today. Replaced a 10 yr old MEGA (shit) policy that my friend was paying 570.00/mo. Sold Assurant max plan for 386.00/mo. He considers me a God now.

One idea

I think the whole idea of a book is great, since I'm relatively new & have gotten so much out of this board. One way to keep the board less cluttered might be to have a headline over each area that points new agents to a link that gets them to the information about the book(s) and how to purchase.

Would that help keep the board free of clutter? You know, the asking of the same question over & over at least might be minimized.

just a thought.

Melmunch3 said:
5. That photography forum has a lot of nice features, and it is my dream to have a similar infrastructure, where there will be articles and resources available besides the forum, and the forum can function at it's best as a hub for NEW ideas, instead of constantly rehashing the old ones. One idea I have been toying with is enabling google adsense ads to support the programming costs. The forum software has a possible feature whereby the ads will only show to guests, but not to signed in members. That way, those who are stopping by will help support the costs and those who are contributing won't be annoyed by them. I doubt that it would produce much income, but it might pay for hosting costs.

Monte Zucker is an Icon in the photography world esp in Wedding and Portrait photography. He would be consider a Brent Meisel of Insurance, now if we had a top star here supporting this forum it would no doubt be helpful. Yet as I mention it took Monte quite a few years and a lot of help to get that site as it is today. Not that many years ago it was just like this one, basically a forum page.

I still think that having contributing members charge is a good idea. Figure out the monthly average of cost for this site and than all the members that want to support it pays a monthly due needed to match the cost. At least for the hard cost but your time in Admin most be worth something and should be considered. As the site grows and contributing member expand than creating a larger and better features could be easily done with keeping monthly contributing dues minimal.

Back