Goal Setting!

Lol Joshril, I enjoyed your post. I'm hoping to buy a new boat soon and I think I'm going to try the goal setting projection + picture of it for motivation.

Also give up Poker stars until goals are met? /twitch, I'll have to think about that one ;)

I have read the posts with a lot of interest. I guess I do set short term goals, they just aren't on paper. I use to do that. What I found is if I met my short term goals, the ones for the week or month, I was usually "on a roll" and didn't see any reason so slow down, I just kept going. This business is so cydlicle that one month you can kick ass the the next month die so to speak.

With insurance my goal is to sell one Med Supp policy a day that stays on the books. (Short term) With YIO it is to make it the very best program for the majority of agents that is available. (Long term)

I'm starting a new venture that should be ready to go in about eight weeks. I've been working on it for the last six months. From the test markets I have done it looks like it has the potential to be larger than the other two. (Both short and long term goals.) My short term goal is to get it going and profitable. My long term goal is to distribute it nation wide.

Mike, your analogy about the stock boy is a good one but those are long term goals. I think what we are talking about here are what I consider "short term" goals. Goals for the week, month and year.

I know how to make my "short term goals" happen. I really don't need a written "plan". I know what I need to do and what the results are going to be. It is the long term goals, those for the next five to ten years that I put on paper.

Didn't mean to sound like I don't agree with goal setting, it is very important. I guess I think I just have my short term goals "under control", its the long term ones that I have a plan for and put on paper.

Last edited:
My goals are the number of people I see a week. I need to see 3 people a day or 15 a week to make a living. Sometimes I sell alot on tuesday and take the rest of the week off. I think that is a recipe for failure.

Sometimes I sell alot on tuesday and take the rest of the week off. I think that is a recipe for failure.

When I was "setting short term goals" that is what I experienced. That is the main reason I kinda stopped doing it. If I'm on a roll I keep selling. If I'm having a bad week, I keep on selling.

As far at taking a day or two off, there really isn't a good time. If I'm selling a lot or I'm not selling anything, I have quit worrying about it. At the end of the year it always seems to work out.

I keep track of the amount I have sold each month just to see where I am.

I don't usually write down my goals. But I do have this group picture from an agency I used to work at. All of the ladies where CSR's, and a few had been there for 20 plus years. I was the first one to make it past being a CSR to a producer. I remember the looks on thier faces, how happy they were that one of thier own made it to being an agent. When I told them I was moving and was going to start out on my own the other producers thought I wouldn't make it, but the ladies encouraged me. When I opened up my office I sent them a picture of my new office, with my name on the door. Whenever I get to slacking off or have a bad week I look at the picture and remember that those ladies are counting on me to succeed, to prove that a CSR can make it as an agent. It's not as tangible as a sports car but it motivates me to achieve more, to be the best I can.

I have read the posts with a lot of interest. I guess I do set short term goals, they just aren't on paper. I use to do that. What I found is if I met my short term goals, the ones for the week or month, I was usually "on a roll" and didn't see any reason so slow down, I just kept going. This business is so cydlicle that one month you can kick ass the the next month die so to speak.

With insurance my goal is to sell one Med Supp policy a day that stays on the books. (Short term) With YIO it is to make it the very best program for the majority of agents that is available. (Long term)

I'm starting a new venture that should be ready to go in about eight weeks. I've been working on it for the last six months. From the test markets I have done it looks like it has the potential to be larger than the other two. (Both short and long term goals.) My short term goal is to get it going and profitable. My long term goal is to distribute it nation wide.

Mike, your analogy about the stock boy is a good one but those are long term goals. I think what we are talking about here are what I consider "short term" goals. Goals for the week, month and year.

I know how to make my "short term goals" happen. I really don't need a written "plan". I know what I need to do and what the results are going to be. It is the long term goals, those for the next five to ten years that I put on paper.

Didn't mean to sound like I don't agree with goal setting, it is very important. I guess I think I just have my short term goals "under control", its the long term ones that I have a plan for and put on paper.

Frank,

How's your new venture going?;)

5 to 10% of the population write down their goals, 5 to 10% of the population is the most successful. Coincidence?

[FONT=verdana,arial,sans serif]"All successful people have a goal. No one can get anywhere unless he knows where he wants to go and what he wants to be or do." - Norman Vincent Peale [/FONT]

A goal is a dream with a deadline. Napoleon Hill
[FONT=verdana,arial,sans serif]
"People with goals succeed because they know where they are going. It's as simple as that." - Earl Nightingale
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,sans serif]"A goal properly set is halfway reached." - Abraham Lincoln

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,sans serif]"You have to set goals that are almost out of reach. If you set a goal that is attainable without much work or thought, you are stuck with something below your true talent and potential." - Steve Garvey [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,sans serif]"The tragedy of life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goals to reach." - Benjamin Mays[/FONT]

Back