Going Door to Door

amerchant7

Expert
Now I know at least 90% of agents on this forum don't go door to door. I also know this has probley been posted before. I did try searching but found nothing I wanted.

I was in a discussion with some other agents today. If for one week you had to go door to door in an unknown neighborhood, what would be you approach when they opened the door?

"Good morning Ms. Mam my name is Agent Goods with BEST COMPANY. I've been showing this progam to many other people in town and I think it might interest you also. It will only take 10 min, do you mind if I come in?"

You'd ask to come in before you've even qualified them???

Some old people will just take up ALL your time because they have nothing better to do.

I would try to qualify up front, on the door step before finding out if it would make sense to spend more time with them.

"I'm with ________ Insurance. We're just calling on homeowners in (name of city) today to see if we can save them some money on their homeowners insurance. Would you like some more information?"

That's my basic phone script. Having pretty good success. Used to do gobs and gobs of door to door with businesses. Haven't done door to door residential yet but I think I would use the same script.

I think it is important to be out doing SOMETHING. If it works, keep doing it. If it doesn't, come up with another plan.

If you don't take a chance....you never had a chance.

Surfy

When someone rings my doorbell and tries to sell me, I'm not even my usual pleasant self. Three dogs start to bark and I'm usually on the phone with a prospect.

Don't walk onto my property without being invited. Okay, Publisher's Clearing House can bring me a check.

Rick

I hear ya Rick. I've door knocked for over 5 years and had great success with D2D marketing. It boils down to this: if you dont have money for direct mail ect. then going door to door is something that you need to do to jump start your insurance biz.

When someone rings my doorbell and tries to sell me, I'm not even my usual pleasant self. Three dogs start to bark and I'm usually on the phone with a prospect.

Don't walk onto my property without being invited. Okay, Publisher's Clearing House can bring me a check.

Rick

Last edited:
I can't imagine going door to door in this day and age. The minute our doorbell rings we go into "Red Alert". If the guy was selling $20 bills for $10 apiece I'd still be suspicious. You guys who are going house to house... more power to you.

Have you guys tried the "Combined Shuffle"? I knew a guy with Combined Insurance. He said the way it worked was you get someone to open the door, then you ask if you can come in. While looking down at the welcome mat, start wiping your feet and move forward without looking up. They supposedly just get out of the way and let you in. Tough way to make a living.

I can't imagine going door to door in this day and age. The minute our doorbell rings we go into "Red Alert". If the guy was selling $20 bills for $10 apiece I'd still be suspicious. You guys who are going house to house... more power to you.

Have you guys tried the "Combined Shuffle"? I knew a guy with Combined Insurance. He said the way it worked was you get someone to open the door, then you ask if you can come in. While looking down at the welcome mat, start wiping your feet and move forward without looking up. They supposedly just get out of the way and let you in. Tough way to make a living.

To add to the shuffle, drop your pen into their house.....as you walk in.
Someone told me that.
Try that in NJ and you will get beat up.

Back