Golden Rule and other STM 12 month plans covering pregnancy

hath201

My wife and I live in North Carolina and are on the hunt for a new insurance plan that is outside of the Marketplace for next year because our premiums are going through the roof with them. I started looking at STM's and found one here on ehealthinsurance. If that link doesn't work it is on ehealthinsurance and is a plan underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance for the Short Term Elite Plus A plan. The plan is for 12 months and the monthly cost is much more affordable than what we currently pay.

The question I am trying to find the answer to is that if we start the plan in January 1st and my wife gets pregnant in February (for example) will the plan cover the expenses? As I understand what is said in the brochure (linked here for golden rule insurance plus elite A) the plan does not cover a pre-existing pregnancy before the effective date, but if she were to get pregnant after the effective date it would cover the expenses after we meet the $2,500 deductible since the coinsurance after meeting the deductible is $0.

The plan appeals to me because it is already much cheaper than what we currently pay even with having to pay the monthly cost and meeting the $2,500 deductible. Even if we went with the cheapest coverage on the Marketplace, this would still be cheaper if it actually did cover her pregnancy. Am I right in my interpretation of their brochure or way off? If you all know of any other plans that would meet our needs or any other advice it would be greatly appreciated.

The question I am trying to find the answer to is that if we start the plan in January 1st and my wife gets pregnant in February (for example) will the plan cover the expenses?
Not Covered at all....no matter when you get pregnant.....

upload_2018-11-14_10-11-51.png

No they do not cover pregnancy. Sadly, your only option is an on or off exchange ACA. You can look into those Christian sharing things..some wil cover pregnancy as long as you are married.

I want to add to this post, that what you can do is pick up a Hospital Indemnity plan that will cover a pregnancy overnight stay (as long as you are not pregnant at the time of application). I know of 1 that will cover and its not that expensive for $6,800 of coverage (about $30/month). You are free to PM me for info.

I want to add to this post, that what you can do is pick up a Hospital Indemnity plan that will cover a pregnancy overnight stay (as long as you are not pregnant at the time of application). I know of 1 that will cover and its not that expensive for $6,800 of coverage (about $30/month). You are free to PM me for info.

I have a correction: the maximum coverage os $6,550 ($6,350 + $200 per day) and the cost for a 30 year old female is $19.40 per month.

Back