Goldenrule - Super Duper Deductible Rollout

Sounds like the US Border Patrol. Yes, we have laws, and patrols to enforce those laws, but there are so many law breakers it is impossible to control. Catch and release. My guess is the IRS will do the same.

YAgents, Golden Rule is doing what you and I were talking about in another thread last week. HHS shows no indication (yet) that they are going to outlaw these type of plans. If the plans do not adhere to all of the Obamacare mandates, they will simply become "Near Major-Medical" policies.

Sure, people who own these will be subject to the Penalty-Tax, but with premiums that will be very low compared to Exchange plans, the "Near Major Medical" policies will still appeal to many. My business owner clients buy up to $25,000 deductible plans and never complain when a medical situation occurs. I'm hoping they'll be able to keep the policy and just pay the penalty-tax, if their accountant advises it.
-Allen

I saw this quoted, and thought of our discussion. Now, they can't avoid the unlimited lifetime maximums, otherwise, there would have been no waivers given out by HHS initially. The only thing left would be can they avoid the OOP tied to HSA OOP's:
Democrats on PPACA: Enough with the excuses | LifeHealthPro
Starting in 2014, PPACA will require all non-grandfathered individual and small-group plans to cover a state's EHB package. An individual or small-group plan must cover the EHB package whether it is sold through an exchange or outside the exchange system.

You know, though, that still doesn't address the issue that Allen from Chicago has been bringing up. He is talking about carriers who will market "near major medical plans," as he calls them. From what I understand, if it does not meet the definition of major medical, then it is not subject to EHB minimum benefit requirements. Of course, it can't be sold on the exchange, and can't be sold as major medical.

But enough of that. The article you posted is a must read. Here are some salient points I extracted from that article:

"Giving program managers and consumers a clear idea of who is eligible for what is important, because each complete eligibility determination process costs Wisconsin about $150 each, whether the applicant turns out to be eligible or not, Smith said."

Hmmmm... so let's see. Every person who applies for a subsidy costs the state $150 in processing fees to find out what the amount of the subsidy will be (if any). You're kidding.

"Smith said he believes that, even after new PPACA subsidies are applied, 59 percent of Wisconsin residents who have individual coverage will face an increase in their premium bills. The average increase could be about 39 percent, Smith said."

Sebelius will have to apologize to California Anthem over that rate hike!

"Gary Alexander, the Pennsylvania public welfare secretary, said the current PPACA "modified adjusted gross income" (MAGI) rules and program eligibility rules are extremely complicated and mean that individuals in the same family could end up with completely different results."

Holy toledo. Won't that be fun?

Back