Great Article Bob !

If you need new struts you can certainly shop around, and you should. But if you need a used kidney do you really want the lowest price?

You pay 100% of the cost of struts but usually less than 20% the cost of a kidney.

There is plenty of competition, especially in primary care and many PCP's are posting or quoting prices.

But no one shops for a kidney or the cheapest price for chemo.

Sounds like insurance agent talking points.....

If you need new struts you can certainly shop around, and you should. But if you need a used kidney do you really want the lowest price?

You pay 100% of the cost of struts but usually less than 20% the cost of a kidney.

There is plenty of competition, especially in primary care and many PCP's are posting or quoting prices.

But no one shops for a kidney or the cheapest price for chemo.

A kidney also costs 200 to 300 times what new struts cost.

And competition depends on the situation.

You can easily shop primary care (and there is a big difference, believe me). But when you need emergency care it isnt exactly an option. But if there is healthy competition in general among the local hospitals, ER prices are most likely going to be contained along with the rest.

And of course there is your point of "do you want the cheap kidney or the top of the line kidney".
But more expensive does not always mean better quality. But this is the place for regulations, quality of care, not the price of care.

Quality does not always dictate price.
I once unknowingly had a lapse in coverage.
During this 2 week period my daughter had routine immunization shots and a checkup w/ bloodwork.
I received a bill for $1100! $200 for the checkup, $400 for the shots, & $700 for the bloodwork.

I spoke to a nurse friend of mine who informed me that those specific immunizations had a cost of around $30 each (3 of them). So they charged $300 over cost for shots. It took about 5 minutes to perform the shots. Even if the nurse made $100 an hour that is only $20 in labor. Throw in another $20 or $30 in labor for admin and they cleared over $200 for performing 5 minutes worth of work.
Then the bloodwork cost so much because they claim to use a 3rd party service to perform it.
I compared their bloodwork price to a few other well recommended PCPs, and found that they were a few hundred more.

Long story short, do you think the immunizations or bloodwork done at the other pediatricians is inferior to the other?
Of course not, because the immunizations are well regulated.

Regulate quality, let the market dictate price.

Last edited:
Carriers have centers of excellence for the major stuff. If you use those outlets you will pay less OOP and most likely have a quicker recovery.

Govt regulation and oversight only serves to make care more expensive and limits access. Just look at nations where the govt pays for care.

We already have oversight for standards of care. More regulation is not the answer. Neither is placing artificial caps on how much a provider is paid for services rendered.

I never suggested higher price = better care, but primary care can easily be shopped including lab work.

if there is healthy competition in general among the local hospitals, ER prices are most likely going to be contained

Hospitals do compete, but not necessarily on price. There are some hospitals that are better for specialized treatment such as cancer or cardio. Also specialty hospitals for spinal cord injury and pediatric.

As for ER, that is a money loser. No one wants to be the low price ER.

Don't know about your area, but around here ER's and L&D are closing.

Last edited:
Joseph, I was being a smartass, I know you didn't mean anything by it ;)

Somarco, no one shops for kidneys or chemo because YOU CANT. Some of us would like the option to.

Having the knowledge of "I'm obese and diabetic and do nothing about it. Dialysis is $xxxx/month when my kidneys fail, a transplant is $xxxxx and a bypass for my McDonalds clogged arteries is $xxxxxx." may prompt people to do something about it (just like knowing a $30 oil change saves you a $2000 engine rebuild).

IMO, the knowledge won't change lifestyles. People still know they can do whatever damage they want and hospitals will fix it at no charge if they say they can't pay. There is no incentive to carry insurance and pay premiums, deductibles, copays, etc.

Actually NYRay, you can shop for transplant surgery, chemo, etc.

Out of country treatment is a growing trend.

Folks who want transparency fail to understand how complicated the human body is and how my treatment for a condition might be considerably different from yours.

At least until 2014, no one requires you to buy health insurance. Even then you can take a pass, pay the penalty and negotiate with providers for any and all services.

I recently gave a client a tip on a cash only hospital that specializes in joint replacement. Prices are posted onsite for most procedures. They don't take ANY insurance, including Medicare or Medicaid.

Actually your comment on free hospital stays only applies under EMTALA rules. If you don't have insurance and have assets the hospital WILL come after you.

And they will bill you full retail. It is up to you to negotiate a cash discount.

Your link to bedwetting nurses complaining about hospital "profit" is a joke. They obviously don't have a clue about the business side of operating a hospital.

Billed charges do not equal profit or profit margin in ANY industry.

You should have caught that before offering the reference link.

Back