Group Health in South Alabama

michellea

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I found the thread started by Dandan about having a friend want him to write group insurance and I realize that I need help.

My soon to be father in law is the food and beverage manager at one of the country clubs here in Mobile, Alabama. He has worked with and been friends for years with the guy who runs this particular club. They have been talking about new group insurance for a while. A few months ago it was mentioned to my fiance and I but we knew nothing about group. 2 days ago it was mentioned to us again that they are really wanting something and were about to start looking for an agent, but they have not done so yet and my father in law has enough pull with this guy to swing it our way.

My fiance and I have been in the health insurance business for about a year. We have only worked in the seniors field, which we have direct contracts for with UHC.

We are looking to branch out into other fields of health insurance, but we know absolutely nothing about this. We KNOW there is no way we could do this ourselve. Is this a situation that would qualify for us splitting commission with someone? If so how does that work? Should I just get with an agent with UHC and work out some type of referral deal? I need guidance since I have no clue as to what would be acceptable, I am not sure what type of role I would be able to have in the deal (would the agent let me help and learn, or would I be expected to have no role in this besides the referral part)

Does anyone know someone in this area that could help? I would love to be more involved in the process so I can get an idea of how this stuff works and of course I would love any monetary compensation I could get.

I am not sure of what size group it is.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Geez, Michellea, after seeing your picture when you first joined this forum I woyuld love to help you. Although James Carvelle stated that Pennsylvania consists of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between, it is not the real Alabama. Furthermore, I am licensed only in Pennsylvania. Good luck with your quest.:sad:

oh snap...your still single and met tony and bam......dahammm....if only...but at any rate I would call BoB V.(404) 252-5859.....he might be able to help you with a split and get contracted with the group carrier...but with my experience with clubs and restaurant is that it is such a high turn over industry that the floor crew is there today gone tomorrow and are unwilling to pay their half of the cost that blows out your participation rate...but you might be able to do a management carve out were it is only offered to management but at that point you really need to know what the group plans in your state are willing to do.....call bob....

Bob Vineyard (Web Hosting, VPS and Dedicated Servers by eBoundHost)
not enough fingers to count the years,
[email protected]
(404) 252-5859
Georgia only.
Under 65 health & life.

Ha ha, yea I am not married yet, but getting busy planning.

I was figuring the turn over of employees would mess me up considering what I read in the last post. I am not sure what exactly they all want, but I will give Bob a call and see if there is anything I can do. If not I am not worried about it, just figured it was worth trying at least and if for nothing else just to learn a little bit! Thanks.

Bars & restaurants are mostly a waste of time unless you want to do a management only plan. BX pretty much controls the state. Can't say who else to use. Haven't lived in AL since 1978. Not licensed there.

Don't mind coaching you to a point. You might want to contact Benefit Mall and get them to assist.

If they don't have a plan now you are probably wasting your time. If they do have a plan they probably have poor participation . . . most likely due to low employer contribution.

Call next week if you want to discuss some ideas.

FWIW, the somarco site you found is not me. Most of the other stuff is accurate.

Bob is right, Blue owns the state for small group. In addition, Blue only writes direct and with a very select few old time agents. They do not let regular agents and brokers write for them. Over 50 employees, Aetna, Humana, Trustmark and UHC are making a push and can sometimes be competitive.

Thanks guys, it sounds like it is just not going to be worth it for me. I am going to try to find out tomorrow a lit bit more about what is needed for them. Yes BCBS has a hold with people here in Alabama. I have work with seniors and hate when I come across a C+ person. Here in Alabama they think C+ is GOLD, nevermind the fact that they could pay a few dollars more and have a Plan F, versus a Plan B. I have ran across 2 dual eligibles, one of which could not pay her power bill, but she would not let me do the MSP application for her so I could enroll her into a SNP.

When working for employers, it used to be BCBS, but they started switching to UHC due to lower costs with them.

Like I said, I do not know anything about health insurance besides the seniors field. I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you say AV this and AV that and blah blah blah.

I will find out in more detail what is needed (if this is for management, what they have now, etc.) and then go from there.

Bars & restaurants are mostly a waste of time unless you want to do a management only plan. BX pretty much controls the state. Can't say who else to use. Haven't lived in AL since 1978. Not licensed there.

Don't mind coaching you to a point. You might want to contact Benefit Mall and get them to assist.

If they don't have a plan now you are probably wasting your time. If they do have a plan they probably have poor participation . . . most likely due to low employer contribution.

Call next week if you want to discuss some ideas.

FWIW, the somarco site you found is not me. Most of the other stuff is accurate.

Ha, ha, you moved from this state a year before I was even born. :D

Thanks for the offer. I will see what I can find out and go from there.

Back