Guidance for New Life Agents

Basically I went into insurance with this idea; AFLAC said I was wrong. Why am I coming to the conclusion I was lead a stray by people that call themselves "Sales professionals".

Ok so off that topic I have a question. My bread and butter in my previous career was outside prospecting by usually B2B/networking. (The idea is the same as I've been doing with the Duck people) The major difference is the length of time it takes for the process. AFLAC is 3 days, I used to do the employer presentation on day 1 and day 2 I would go and sign people up for the gym, I wouldn't have a day 3 (sometimes it's a month with AFLAC).

Should I use what I've learned in my past career doing health and welness programs in this career?

That and my bread and butter has always been referrals. But whose isn't?

I haven't had luck doing VPD (voluntary payroll deduction) programs. That doesn't mean you can't do it, but they seem to be quite time consuming. However, if you know how to go after that business... by all means, do so. Don't stop doing what's working for you.

Just find out in advance from your insurance companies what the requirements are. Many times you need a minimum policy count in order to get pre-approval from the home office.

So, if you plan to leave AFLAC, make sure you have a company that will work with you the way you plan to work.

American National offers a simplified issue program for qualified employers... but you have to submit a minimum of 10 applications.

American National - Worksite

They also offer 401(k), pension, and other advanced business case support too.

I can't give you any advice on health & wellness programs.

Oh, I meant I used to do wellness programs, I am out of that industry.

Do you think if I sold more term insurance to individuals I'd have a better chance at building a clientele easier and then later convert those clients to a permanent policy? That's what I'm understanding from this read.

The majority of the population is generally predisposed (read: brainwashed) to buy term insurance. You can either lead with that, or learn how to explain the differences between term and permanent insurance so that your prospect can make the decision for themselves.

Term life insurance is NOT a bad product. It is generally an easy sale and, if you're an independent agent, can pay you a decent commission too. When you're new, you need to "make up in numbers for what you lack in skills". Term life insurance helps you get paid something today, and build up an inventory for tomorrow.

Now, if you want to advance your skills, I recommend training and coaching from the Insurance Pro Shop.

But back to term life insurance... John Savage (a big-time producer who passed away in 1993) said that you just need to ask and answer 4 questions for your prospect:

1. How much life insurance do I need? Answer: An amount you can easily afford. (After all, if they can't easily afford it, does it matter how much more they need?)

2. What kind of life insurance? Answer: "The best kind to get started with - term life insurance!" (It's the least expensive to get started with initially.)

3. Who should I buy it from? Answer: "Well, I'm not here to represent my competition." (This isn't about companies, but about agent trust. You just want them to buy from you.)

4. When should you buy it? Answer: "Today, because I'd only recommend an amount that you can easily afford!"

Get your premium commitment, figure out the appropriate product and general underwriting parameters, and go from there.

Back