Guy who Hit my Car Wants Me to Get 3 Different Estimates

houston.nissan

This guy who hit my car in parking lot, left his name and number (no insurance details). I contacted him and he told he'd prefer doing this without going to the insurance companies. I said OK. I got an estimate from a certified Nissan dealer and it was about $1200.
Now he says this estimate is 'way overinflated' and would like to see 2 more estimates. I do not have time to do this. I was doing all this as a favor so that he doesn't hurt his insurance premium.
I am thinking I should let him know that I am not going to any other dealer and if he does not agree with this estimate, I'd rather file a claim with his insurance.
As a proof that he did that damage I have our email conversations and pictures that I took of my car the day incident occurred.
What can he do here? I am in strong position right? Thanks in advance.

He can do whatever he wants.

Of course, that doesn't stop you from filing a claim. I doubt you will get his insurance information from him. So you'll be left with filing a claim with your company and letting them go after him, subrogation. I'm sure he will quickly cough up his insurance information when they call. If you do file with your company, you'll be out the deductible until your insurance company recovers it from him or his insurance.

Also, it is your decision which shop to use to repair your vehicle.

A couple of things....

It is doubtful that the Nissan dealership actually does the body work. Most dealerships have a relationship with the body shop behind them and simply do a markup on their work. A few dealers actually do body work, but not many, at least not in my area. Because of this, he is probably right, the $1200 is probably inflated.

If you file a claim with the insurance company, they will have another estimate done as well. You are already in for another estimate regardless. Most of the time, they can do this in 15-20 minutes, not a big deal.

Insurance companies pay book rate for repairs, but they are good at limiting what they pay for. They pay for the damage, not the adjacent stuff that body shops always want to do.

I would get a second estimate from a reputable body shop. It will likely be a couple of dollars less, not much, then stop there.

Keep in mind the guy was honest enough to leave his name and number. That speaks volumes on the fact he wants to do the right thing. It doesn't sound like he is disputing liability, but may be unaware of what it actually costs to get minor 'dings' out of cars somedays.

Dan

You need to file a police report first, many insurance companies will ask for one anyways.
My gf was just backed into from a concierge and we got his info. We felt bad for the guy and didn't want him to lose his job so we tried contacting him to see if we can do this without getting the insurance companies involved.
Finally my gf went to the company and told the boss after finding the guy dodging her phone calls and text messages, the boss instantly told her, get an estimate and I'll cut you a check.
Done and Done...

Last edited:
A couple of things....

It is doubtful that the Nissan dealership actually does the body work. Most dealerships have a relationship with the body shop behind them and simply do a markup on their work. A few dealers actually do body work, but not many, at least not in my area. Because of this, he is probably right, the $1200 is probably inflated.

If you file a claim with the insurance company, they will have another estimate done as well. You are already in for another estimate regardless. Most of the time, they can do this in 15-20 minutes, not a big deal.

Insurance companies pay book rate for repairs, but they are good at limiting what they pay for. They pay for the damage, not the adjacent stuff that body shops always want to do.

I would get a second estimate from a reputable body shop. It will likely be a couple of dollars less, not much, then stop there.

Keep in mind the guy was honest enough to leave his name and number. That speaks volumes on the fact he wants to do the right thing. It doesn't sound like he is disputing liability, but may be unaware of what it actually costs to get minor 'dings' out of cars somedays.

Dan

I agree. My experience with dealer owned body shops is they do not necessarily do good work. When I was younger and less experienced I used dealers three times for repairs. The worst body work I ever had done was by a VW dealer. I would find a good independent know for doing good quality paint work.

File the claim! there is no guarantee that this guy will pay the bill. You should of filed a police report. In out state there are so many that run around and say they have insurance because they have an insurance card but really they just paid for one month and let it cancel but they pretend they have insurance.

Latest posts

Back