Have you heard of Plan G Plus yet?

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
New Horizons <[email protected]

MARCH 15, 2021

Extra benefits like dental, vision, hearing, and SilverSneakers® have always been popular among the senior crowd. Medicare Advantage plans have been able to promote these extras successfully, but Medicare Supplements have long been left out.

Blue Cross Blue Shield may be paving the way with its new Plan G Plus plan, a Medicare Supplement Plan G with extra perks baked in. Will the Medicare Supplement with additional benefits be the wave of the future?

What Is Plan G Plus?

Plan G Plus (Plan G+) is a new Medicare Supplement offering from Blue Cross and Blue Shield® in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas (parent company HCSC Group).

Starting April 1, 2021, the new Plan G Plus will be available in Illinois, and it is rolling out to the other states offered by HCSC Group shortly after.

Plan G Plus will be the first Medicare Supplement plan in Illinois (that we know of) to offer extra benefits, including:

• Dental benefits: 2 cleanings, 2 exams, 1 X-ray per year, 50% of basic restorative services, 75% of non-surgical extractions (in-network)
  • Hearing benefits: $0 annual exam, discounts on rechargeable and battery-operated hearing aids
  • Vision benefits: $0 annual exam, $130 in-network eyewear allowance, $65 out-of-network eyewear allowance
  • 24/7 nurseline: nurses available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to help with health concerns and give general health tips
  • SilverSneakers® Fitness Program: unlimited access to over 16,000 fitness centers in the national network
There has also been a lot of demand for extra benefits from seniors.

Marti Monckton, Sr. Producer Sales Consultant for Blue Cross and Blue Shield® of Illinois, explains current BCBS policyholders have been asking for SilverSneakers® benefits for nearly a decade.

“Now that you see all the commercials on TV about free dental, free hearing, free vision – seniors are listening to this. We need to at least have that option out there,” she says.

Now try to convince them to pay an extra $30-$40/month on top of their already high premiums vs. a $0 MAPD. Med Sups just can't compete because they aren't getting the kickback from the Government.

I believe there was a thread about a California G+ plan. Probably a few months back. They may have called it something else, not G+.

I could search for it, but too lazy.

The cost for Silver Sneakers is something like $10 or so at wholesale. Probably about the same for hearing & vision.

Seniors SAY they like these things but other than Sneakers I don't hear anyone saying they would change their plan if they have to give up the "extra benefits".

All my clients are Medigap. I have had some change from their in force Medigap to a carrier with SS but only when the premium is the same or lower than what they are paying.

Before G became popular the only way for seniors to get a gap plan with Sneakers they had to buy an F plan from BX or UHC. They weren't willing to pay an extra $40 or so monthly for the F plan with Sneakers.

Many carriers have a nurse hotline baked in but it is rarely promoted, and (I suspect) rarely used on the Medicare side. U65 health insurance for families with small kids probably see higher utilization.

The whole point of the Government stepping in to standardize Medicare Supplements was to keep confusion out of plans, if one company has a plan G+ plan they all will soon have it.

The thing that needs to be standardized is Part D coverage!!

The problem is HCSC and those that have dealt with this outfit and their various entities will know exactly what I am talking about. The managing of these ancillary benefits will be something special and most likely involve a call center in Manila. My thoughts are that it won't make much of an impact in Texas, Montana, and NM where I wite.

The whole point of the Government stepping in to standardize Medicare Supplements was to keep confusion out of plans, if one company has a plan G+ plan they all will soon have it.

The thing that needs to be standardized is Part D coverage!!

No doubt. There is a small line about standardized plans that says innovative benefits can be added. Though states won't approved proposed "extras" if they're too confusing.

“Medigap policies sold in Illinois after 1992 are identical in coverage from company to company. For example, a Plan G sold by ABC Insurance Company has the same benefits as a Plan G that is sold by XYZ Insurance Company, with the exception of any innovative benefits approved by the Illinois Department of Insurance. Examples of innovative benefits could include, but not limited to, vision benefits, dental benefits, or routine hearing exams.” (Illinois.gov)

So...this TX girl is so far uninspired. The numbers aren't going to work.

1. Dental is stupid all the time. Unless you are getting 1 major service every year, the numbers don't work. Ever. And this one is even more stupid. You get free teeth cleanings. Then Basic services (fillings) are covered at 50%? And then it specifically says "extractions" at 50%. WTF does that mean? They will cover extractions but not crowns, root canals, bridges, etc? What's the waiting period? This is customer service nightmare. Either buy Cigna PPO at $40-ish a month or go without.

2. WHOO HOO a free hearing exam? And discounts? What discounts and where? This is like the UHC Hearing Exam discount. Just go to Costco and be done with it. If you have a "real" medical hearing problem, the damn exam is already covered under Medicare

3. Vision Benefits: Again, super stupid. With Original Medicare, you go to an Ophthalmologist and everything is covered except the actual damn prescription, which shouldn't cost more than $25-ish. $130 at an in network provider (and I would assume the eyemed network, since that's what they have on small group and Indy) means you can get free crappy glasses at America's Best and Target. Walmart isn't in the network. So what really happens is you get crappy glasses that still cost $200 because every single one of them is going to need bifocals. That's a fun call.

4. Don't they already have a nurseline? It may be that Texas has it and Illinois doesn't?

5. Well. This one does get asked a lot. And Bob...I love you but at $22/month, it actually is worth it. Curves is more than that. And they all want Curves.

So here's how this one gets pitched:

"Blue also offers Plan G PLUS. Which offers some discounts on dental, vision and hearing that are not the best (or the worst) but most importantly, it includes Silver Sneakers. So depending on where you are members, it may be worth the $22/month"

Here are the other questions:
1. Can I sell this to current G members?
2. Am I getting paid on this?
3. If they get this and have a separate dental policy, am I going to be dealing with COB issues? (So what I will need to know, in writing, is if this is insurance or a discount plan)

More importantly, since they are obviously trying to increase sales: WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO FIX COMMISH? They are 5 points below everyone else. Its ridiculous.

Latest posts

Back