Have you heard of Plan G Plus yet?

T-65 in my area is $85 for a female and $95 for a male. Anyway not here to argue but to say the Med Sup is going to stick longer is totally wrong. Have to change every 2 - 3 years or you will lose them. I have had clients on the same MA Plan as they went on back in 2008 when I really starting selling a lot of them. Sounds like we are selling in 2 different Universes.

:unsure:....it definitely does.

I don't understand what you mean by the following: "T-65 in my area is $85 for a female and $95 for a male. Anyway not here to argue but to say the Med Sup is going to stick longer is totally wrong. Have to change every 2 - 3 years or you will lose them."

Last edited:
:unsure:....it definitely does.

I don't understand what you mean by the following: "T-65 in my area is $85 for a female and $95 for a male. Anyway not here to argue but to say the Med Sup is going to stick longer is totally wrong. Have to change every 2 - 3 years or you will lose them."

I don't have to move them every 2 or 3 years?

Here's the initial pitch: "There are 2 ways to buy a Medicare Supplement. You can either go with the least expensive, knowing that in 2 or 3 years there will be a significant premium increase and we will want to move. And that move requires underwriting. Option 2: you pay more in your 60's for Blue or UHC and not deal with the drama later. And if you are 70+ and we can get through underwriting, then we move you from Blue or UHC to the cheap plan at that time, because the numbers work."

Bonus: Blue and UHC do the rate increases in late spring. So I tell clients to let me know if it goes up by more than $5/month during the PDP review. That way, I'm not doing the moves during OEP.

I have no problem with the cheap approach, especially in the states that let you move with the birthday rule. As long as no one calls me later and says "you didn't tell me that".

I don't have to move them every 2 or 3 years?

Here's the initial pitch: "There are 2 ways to buy a Medicare Supplement. You can either go with the least expensive, knowing that in 2 or 3 years there will be a significant premium increase and we will want to move. And that move requires underwriting. Option 2: you pay more in your 60's for Blue or UHC and not deal with the drama later. And if you are 70+ and we can get through underwriting, then we move you from Blue or UHC to the cheap plan at that time, because the numbers work."

Bonus: Blue and UHC do the rate increases in late spring. So I tell clients to let me know if it goes up by more than $5/month during the PDP review. That way, I'm not doing the moves during OEP.

I have no problem with the cheap approach, especially in the states that let you move with the birthday rule. As long as no one calls me later and says "you didn't tell me that".

Question for you: From what you've seen, are Humana's price increases for sups relatively stable?

They are in the "roll the dice" box. They aren't as bad as MOO or Aetna or Cigna with the "every 3 years" probably more like 5 years.

And remember, they are focused on MAPD.

Ok, another question for you...if you're replacing their sup every "two or three years" then doesn't that reset the commission clock too? For example, you put someone in an Aetna Plan G, shoots up three years later, you put them in a Blue Sup...doesn't that Blue sup pay out YR1-YR6 of it at the highest rate too?

Ok, another question for you...if you're replacing their sup every "two or three years" then doesn't that reset the commission clock too? For example, you put someone in an Aetna Plan G, shoots up three years later, you put them in a Blue Sup...doesn't that Blue sup pay out YR1-YR6 of it at the highest rate too?
Depends on the carrier, but in general, yes. BCBSTX commish (which is criminally low) cuts from 16% to 10% if the starting age is 70+

Depends on the carrier, but in general, yes. BCBSTX commish (which is criminally low) cuts from 16% to 10% if the starting age is 70+

Thanks for the info. When I used to work for Humana in the call center in 2018-19, they used to tell us that in part due to having one rate increase a year and a commitment to being competitive, they are right there with the leading sup carriers on price stability. I always took it with a grain of salt.

They also push sup sales year round with the exception of AEP. The rest of the year, they would prefer to see sups than MA's. Based on the broker emails I now receive from them, it seems at least somewhat the same for the field.

So, Midlevel, based on all of this, I still see no reason to get away from presenting med sups equally with MA for any T65 client with a bit of money. Even if I do have to change it in two to three years (still seems like partly a presentation issue, depending on the client...down here, it's not hard to explain to someone with monies that they would rather pay a bit more now than a lot more later), my commissions generally are still going to be equal/better than the MAPD unless I'm getting into the deep end of the sups (Plan K, L, HD-G, HD-F), and the customer is going to be happier with the product, as long as I educated them properly as to what it is

Plus, it's not a big deal to have to do some actual work for a client every "two to three years." I don't see how that's a tougher road than MAPD. The MAPD competition is vicious EVERY year. Not to mention network changes, prior authorization chicanery, and doctor's offices routinely crapping on MAPD to their patients, regardless of the patient's medical history. I've even been in a orthopedic office (for my bum shoulder) where a desk clerk told the patient he needed a sup instead of the MAPD...when dude was in there trying for a hip replacement.

I'm not saying MAPD is bad, but for any client I speak to who's coming from an ACA or PPO employer plan, they are going to hear about med sups from me, even if they're in Miami...where the MA plans are 'hit the lottery' ridiculous.

So...this TX girl is so far uninspired. The numbers aren't going to work.

1. Dental is stupid all the time. Unless you are getting 1 major service every year, the numbers don't work. Ever. And this one is even more stupid. You get free teeth cleanings. Then Basic services (fillings) are covered at 50%? And then it specifically says "extractions" at 50%. WTF does that mean? They will cover extractions but not crowns, root canals, bridges, etc? What's the waiting period? This is customer service nightmare. Either buy Cigna PPO at $40-ish a month or go without.

2. WHOO HOO a free hearing exam? And discounts? What discounts and where? This is like the UHC Hearing Exam discount. Just go to Costco and be done with it. If you have a "real" medical hearing problem, the damn exam is already covered under Medicare

3. Vision Benefits: Again, super stupid. With Original Medicare, you go to an Ophthalmologist and everything is covered except the actual damn prescription, which shouldn't cost more than $25-ish. $130 at an in network provider (and I would assume the eyemed network, since that's what they have on small group and Indy) means you can get free crappy glasses at America's Best and Target. Walmart isn't in the network. So what really happens is you get crappy glasses that still cost $200 because every single one of them is going to need bifocals. That's a fun call.

4. Don't they already have a nurseline? It may be that Texas has it and Illinois doesn't?

5. Well. This one does get asked a lot. And Bob...I love you but at $22/month, it actually is worth it. Curves is more than that. And they all want Curves.

So here's how this one gets pitched:

"Blue also offers Plan G PLUS. Which offers some discounts on dental, vision and hearing that are not the best (or the worst) but most importantly, it includes Silver Sneakers. So depending on where you are members, it may be worth the $22/month"

Here are the other questions:
1. Can I sell this to current G members?
2. Am I getting paid on this?
3. If they get this and have a separate dental policy, am I going to be dealing with COB issues? (So what I will need to know, in writing, is if this is insurance or a discount plan)

More importantly, since they are obviously trying to increase sales: WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO FIX COMMISH? They are 5 points below everyone else. Its ridiculous.
Yes, you can replace the current BCBS policy they have, but if you didn't write the original, you won't get paid for it. :no:

I just really looked at this this morning, The dental is not discounts and there's no annual max or deductible. The network is any dentist that accepts Medicare. Out of network are the dentists that don't accept Medicare. Like you said the vision is weak and it only pays 30% on hearing aids. I was just told it covered root canals. There's a lot it won't cover..

file:///C:/Users/tlmas/AppData/Local/Temp/IL%20Plan%20G%20Plus_Dental%20Benefit
%20Outline_Final.pdf

I only sell BCBS(GI in Illinois) to people that are stuck in a closed block of business. I'd much rather make 55% on the DVH than10% on this, but I think the Plus benefits are worth the extra $22.22 a month and I'll be recommending it when I have no other alternative than BCBS. :yes:

Latest posts

Back