Health Insurance Asking for More of My History Records

rexx

What should I do?

I recently got an individual health policy. About a month later after the policy was active, I had to have surgery.

The insurance company paid the claims according to my policy benefits, but now the insurance company is sending me letters to provide them with any other of my past medical history (rx meds, dr visits, etc.).

I don't get it!!! I completed their initial application and was approved for coverage.

Now, are they trying to cancel me by trying to find any pre-existing stuff relating to my surgery?

I forgot to include an ER visit I had 4-5 years ago - which shouldn't relate to my recent surgery I had. BTW, the ER visit was cash paid since I did not have any insurance.

Should I inform them of the ER visit???

Do I risk being cancelled and/or dare I say RESCISSION?

I've heard crazy things about having to pay the insurance company back any benefits they paid.

OR...

Do I just ignore them completely???

Besides that, my overall health is good. I just worry that the insurance company can access any health record databases that may or may not exist on me and call me out on it...

Wouldn't any of Obamacare laws now with patient protection and ACA apply to this?

Thank you for any input and advise.

Yes, you had surgery a month after taking out coverage. If looking from the outside in you can't see that as peculiar timing, then you need to rethink things. Assuming that this was completely unrelated to any previous condition, just send in the health records and don't worry about it.

But yes, they do want to see if the surgery was related to any pre-existing condition as is their right. Just provide the records.

If the insurance company was really concerned I don't think they would have paid the claims first and if you were truthful on the application you shouldn't be worried about them investigating. Ignoring them could get you cancelled. If they do something you don't feel is right appeal and file a complaint with your state department of insurance. They should go to bat for you or tell you your'e nuts.

Back