Health insurer Centene to buy WellCare for $15.27 billion

I'm with Vic on this one. I hate dealing with WellCare. if it weren't for their Agent PURL, I don't know that I'd write any with them. And even that is difficult for many Medicare beneficiaries to navigate. And God forbid you or the client ever have to contact customer service.

The other thing to consider is that we are seeing more and more consolidation in this market. I mean, WellCare just finalized the deal for Aetna's PDP business. Now all of that will be Centene? When it's all said and done, we are going to have maybe 4-5 major players in the market.

Centene is here for the second year as PA Health and Wellness/Allwell. They have MAPD and SNPs. They are one of three carriers in the State that have a contract for the Community Health Choices (CHC) for the long-term care portion of Medicaid.

The carriers are allowed to contact Duals to move them to their SNP as well so both plans are in "alignment" and the other SNP carriers are in an uproar, having lost the bid with the State. Lawsuits are pending and the bid is up for grabs again next year.

I've been scheduled to meet with the local Allwell rep a couple of times, but have been brushed off due to meetings.

A match made in Heaven. They deserve each other. /sarc
I can only speak to my experience with both over the last 10 years or so.

Back