Hello from Florida

How many warm leads would a guy just starting out need to make a decent/good salary? In your opinion?

As many as you can get your hands on. One can never have too many leads.

If I were you I would forget about trying to classify leads, hot, warm, kind a sorta warm, room temp, cold, etc. (I know agents who have 10 different categories for "leads". They are losing a lot of business.)

I treat them all as if the person is waiting for my call regardless of when I get them.

There is nothing wrong with buying a list and creating your own leads. All of the lists today are scrubbed, at least all that I have seen. I stopped paying for leads a long time ago. If you aren't afraid to prospect and pick up the telephone you will never be without "leads".

Selling insurance is work. Prospecting is the most work. If you can master that you will have a long and successful career.

You should also take Somarco's suggestion under consideration.

I stopped paying for leads a long time ago. If you aren't afraid to prospect and pick up the telephone you will never be without "leads" [/quote said:
Frank, can you give us an idea of your cold telephone presentation you use to generate leads? Thanks.

Al

I believe the clock runs out after 18 months. You might want to check that.

Old leads can be a gold mine, but they can also be a land mine. You really need to know where you can step.

Frank, can you give us an idea of your cold telephone presentation you use to generate leads? Thanks.

Al

Hello Mrs. Smith, my name is Frank Stastny and the reason I'm calling is that you recently sent in a business reply card, you know, kinda like a white post card requesting information on all of the many changes what have recently taken place with Medicare. (Don't even pause for a breath, go right into) Are you on Medicare? (Again don't pause) Super, everyone needs health coverage today. (Again don't pause, if you do that will give them an opportunity to take control of the conversation and you will be playing catch-up from that point forward.) I assume you also have a Medicare Supplement policy, (Do not wait for an answer, go right into) do you recall who you have it with?

When they give you the name say, I'm very familiar with that company, a lot of my clients use to have them for their supplement insurance. (Keep talking, you don't want to give them a chance to capture the conversation. However don't be aggressive or talk real fast, just keep control of the conversation.) They were happy with the coverage but didn't feel that they could continue paying the cost with all of the big premium increases they have had in the last several years.

From that point forward you base your conversation with them on the kind of reactions you have gotten up to that point.

Sometimes I also ask how much they are paying but if I know the company I usually know that. I tell them how much a policy would be with me. I don't care what Medicare Supplement Plan they have. Most are going to have a Plan F. That is almost an automatic sale for me if they do and I can get an appointment.

Depending on how it is going I may ask them some basic health questions. If they are really interested I might ask them the health questions off of the application.

You really need to know the area they live in and what companies the agents have been pushing in that area for insurance. It will vary in different parts of the state so know everything you can about your competition and or other agents selling in that area. You can get that information from the prospect if you handle correctly.

It's not just a matter of "reading a script" regardless of what you say when you contact them. Inflection in your voice, the tone or level of your voice, (how sincere do you sound), timing so you don't lose control of the conversation, the timing you use when talking to people will be different with different people. Comedians are mostly successful because of their timing. It is no different when talking to prospects on the phone.

Ask most comedians the three reasons why they are successful and they will say, timing, timing, timing.

Knowledge about the market is most important when prospecting. The more you know the better you will be at it.

Last edited:
Most people will not remember whether or not they did send in a card or fill out a form. I have been at the door and showed the guy the card he filled out and signed.

He said, yep that's my writing, yep that's my signature, nope I didn't fill it out.

Sometimes if they say the didn't remember filling out the card I will say with a chuckle. "As a friend of mine says, Don't ask me questions like that, I have slept since then." If they chuckle back or you can sense that they are smiling they will let you keep talking. And, yes, you can tell over the phone if they are smiling.

It's going to take several months before you perfect your approach on the phone. Keep making calls, note the things you did wrong and the ones you did right. Learn and keep making changes until you get something you and the prospect is comfortable.

You will have to make a lot of calls to be able to handle all the different types you talk to. It will all come with practice, practice, practice.

Be conversational and relaxed. If you aren't they will sense it. What ever you do, DO NOT SOUND LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL THEM SOMETHING, AND DON'T TALK FAST AND SOUND LIKE YOU ARE IN A RUSH.

You are just a guy, a friend even, who is trying to get some information to help them.

Come up with your own "dog and pony show" over the phone, practice it, perfect it and you will do well grasshopper. :)

I believe the clock runs out after 18 months. You might want to check that.

Old leads can be a gold mine, but they can also be a land mine. You really need to know where you can step.

Given an opportunity to talk to a prospect and have a conversation with them I always make the offer to call them back at a later date just in case their situation changes or their company has a huge increase. I also give them my toll-free number and tell them that they don't have to have insurance with me for me to help them out if they need advice or have a question I can answer.

The will very seldom say no. I consider that as giving me the okay to call again. I always document every conversation I have with prospects and clients, even down to the month, day, minute and second.

I always "talk nice" to them and try to end the conversation on a pleasant note.

You may disagree but I consider that giving me permission. It may be working at the "edge of the envelope" but most successful people usually hover around there. I have never had anyone raise hell with me when I call back.

I have also called former clients several years after they cancelled and most say it is good to hear from me again, ask how Jacqueline is doing and all our critters. Many I stay in touch with even after they cancel. We always part "friends".

Frank, I do not disagree with your approach, but you can probably get by with a lot more in the senior crowd vs the under 65 folks.

Frank, I do not disagree with your approach, but you can probably get by with a lot more in the senior crowd vs the under 65 folks.

I totally agree, it is a completely different world. I guess I should preface my comments reminding everyone that I only work in the senior market. Sometimes I even forget that. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm sure I would fail miserably at what you do. I don't know of such things. I guess that is why I am where I am.

A point well taken. However, I don't think that the basic concept can't be applied to all types of selling.

Last edited:
This advice is phenomenal. I mentioned, I think, that I'm going to do the Liberty National position until my money is right. I don't have a problem with the prospecting--I think. I've been doing it for a month and I don't mind that.

This advice is phenomenal. I mentioned, I think, that I'm going to do the Liberty National position until my money is right. I don't have a problem with the prospecting--I think. I've been doing it for a month and I don't mind that.

Kind of like what the guy said about being married, been at it two weeks and like it fine. Just kidding.

If you've got a good handle on prospecting selling is the easy, enjoyable part.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Back