Hello from HOT As @#$$ Texas!!

Insurancedude1

Houston
Hello all,

Just stumbled upon this site and very excited to join. Little bit about myself: I am a full time Paramedic for the city and work 24 hours on and 48 hours off leaving me enough time (IMO) to pursue being an independent agent, something I have always wanted! I worked captive for Mutual of Omaha and loved it until new managment came in and ruined morale for everyone (more on that another time:no:) After that decided to go independent with no luck. Was offered a job at a small town fire dept where I stayed for a year before leaving to become a Paramedic where I currently work. I love my job but feel I have alot of free time and can now go independent as an insurance agent. I am planning on taking the test sometime this month and starting hopefully by the end of August....I have loads of questions of course but will use the appropriate forum and searching. Thanks for all the advice to come!!

Hello all,

Just stumbled upon this site and very excited to join. Little bit about myself: I am a full time Paramedic for the city and work 24 hours on and 48 hours off leaving me enough time (IMO) to pursue being an independent agent, something I have always wanted! I worked captive for Mutual of Omaha and loved it until new managment came in and ruined morale for everyone (more on that another time:no:) After that decided to go independent with no luck. Was offered a job at a small town fire dept where I stayed for a year before leaving to become a Paramedic where I currently work. I love my job but feel I have alot of free time and can now go independent as an insurance agent. I am planning on taking the test sometime this month and starting hopefully by the end of August....I have loads of questions of course but will use the appropriate forum and searching. Thanks for all the advice to come!!

Have you selected a product to offer? My suggestion would be to find one product you believe in and literally become an expert on that product before adding something else.

I think one of the reasons so many agents fail at this is that they start out trying to be all things to all people. Learn to sell one product well before adding another.

You appear to have the time and I assume you won't have to make a sale with everyone you talk to.

Welcome Insurance Dude! Good luck with starting your new insurance business. Plenty of great information on this forum.

Insurancedude1 vbmenu_register("postmenu_421383", true);

Tell me more about your Mutual of Omaha run. When was this and for how long. What made it work, and then stop. What did the new manager do different from the old one?

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks all, good to meet yall. Bill, When I first started in around 2004 or so the oppurtunity was awesome!! The career financing allowed me to make alot of money. They went on app count then and for every ten apps I got a bonus of at least $1000. It was nice. All that has changed now. I was in the Houston TX office. Where are you located? When I started managemtn was great. You were a captive agent but they understood that you were still 1099. They were there when you needed them and helped out whenver possible ( like the time I had a HUGE chargeback, the secretary took a little out of each paycheck) I understand this isnt customary but it was very nice. They were there to support you whenver needed and managed very appropriately. THEN came in new managment. We had to start paying to work there!! I believe it was 45 dollars each paycheck to cover the cubicle. More for faxing and copying! Also leads became sparce and it wasnt uncommon for the new sales manager to run them himself. He was a very degrading individual and spoke to everyone with the upmost disrespect. It became mandatory that you if you arent running calls that you be in the office making phone calls. I dont know about you but I got into the business for the freedom! They dictated which company you have to go throught to order physicals, something I was not happy with since I had a great relationship with someone else. SO this led to me being called in all the time and chewed out. I would like to think I am a pretty down to earth guy and not very aggressive but when he degraded me in front of everyone for my low numbers one week and then proceeded to cuss me out in his office...well it almost came to blows! I called his boss and he laid off for a while but I still didnt appreciate the way he talked to the rest of the staff. Dont get me wrong, I am ALL about accountability but speaking to people like they are subhuman isnt proper managment. Sorry for the lengthy response. I dont know about other offices I just know about the one in Houston. Before new managemt it was a jam up place to work...loved it and the people! Any other questions feel free to ask.

Sorry I really feel I was company bashing and that wasnt my intent. It was a great place to work just hav a problem with the folks running the show now. I hear its still like that, most everyone has left.....okay bear with me here im new lol...for some reason my lengthy response to Bills question wasnt posted
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Have you selected a product to offer? My suggestion would be to find one product you believe in and literally become an expert on that product before adding something else.

I think one of the reasons so many agents fail at this is that they start out trying to be all things to all people. Learn to sell one product well before adding another.

You appear to have the time and I assume you won't have to make a sale with everyone you talk to.

Yes sir I was actually leaning more towards FE and medsups...actually I looked at your website and its in my business plan to purchase it as I et up and running. Im choosing those two products because they seem simple to learn again and of course commissions on the med sups are nice. Its been a while tho so I need to do some studying/training!!

Last edited:
Back