Help with Project 200

Maybe I should have been more clear. I am only putting the list together because it's one of the steps I am required to take. Do I expect any return from it? Not really. My plan is to start cold call prospecting from day one. I have no desire to bother my friends family other than the letter and 1 phone call.

Just realize, your manager may have other ideas. Odds are, he is lazy and won't stay after you. But you might just find one that will work you, and will expect you to work the Project 200. You'll have some real fun if he makes you repeatedly call until you get an appointment or a no.

More importantly, why are you going onto a career contract under a manager if you don't agree with his prospecting methods? That is like going to UC at Berkley and expecting a "good Christian" education. It won't end well.

just get out the phone book.... pick 200 names.. it will satisfly your manager... check the names, against the do not call list.... and start calling....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
better yet. buy a call list..

Last edited:
Your Project 200 can help you launch quicker, here is what I would do if I had it all over to do again. Put together your 200 list. Don't call them up to sell them, they know you are new. But invite them to lunch or a cup of coffee, tell them you are starting in a new career, and want to get their thoughts on your process. Tell them upfront you will not be asking them any personal financial questions and there will be no sales pitch.

When you get to lunch, show them the process your company teaches you (probably takes 5 to 10 minutes to show them). Tell them you don't want to pry into their personal situation unless they actually want your help in a particular area, but that you are in a people business and need their help simply meeting new people and expanding your network. Show them your process for reaching out to new people and how it won't make them look bad.

After getting agreement on the process, ask if it would be okay to brainstorm some names. Promise upfront you won't contact any of them unless they give you explicit permission to do so. Help them come up with people:

Brothers or sisters in the area? Cousins?
Co-workers?
Friends that you don't know?
Neighbors?
Ect.

After you have a list, tell them there are three options for each name:

Option #1: Have them write a short note on a brochure or letter you will mail out (show them a sample, you may have to have your wife/girlfriend write out the first one!) along the lines of "John is a good guy, you may want to give him a few minutes to see if he has anything to offer you." or something similiar. Notice they don't have to already be a client of yours and it's low key for them. I would guess most people on their list will be okay for this strategy.

(after explaining option #1, have them go through the list and check who they would be comfortable sending a note)

Option #2: Have them cross out any name they absolutely don't want you to contact. Let them know it's okay to do so.

Option #3: For any left on the list, ask them if it would be okay if you give them a call and mention their name. If not, cross them off the list.

If you do it right and make it non-threatening for your friend/contact, you should be able to get a minimum of five introductions per person that meets with you. Any business those initial 200 do with you will be gravy (a few may, most will not, remember, they know you are new). Some of those 200 will over time after they see you stick around. I picked up some friends/family over time without trying at all.

If you have a list of 200 and at least 100 agree to see you under those circumstances, average 5 names from each and you have a list of 500 to start your career out. Not a bad deal. Do joint work and if the statistics hold that 1 out of 10 of those names will do business with you the first year, you have 50 new clients from your initial Project 200 without asking your friends/family personal financial and health questions. Ask for introductions and the process can continue on.

You'll have plenty of down time when not meeting with those clients, so do other prospecting activities such as walking into businesses and phoning for 5 minute introductions. Stop out with a one page survey and have them check what is important. If they want to talk further about something, set up a time to stop back and bring a vet for joint work. This way you don't have to know all the answers starting out, your job is to find new prospects and learn from the vets.

JMO.

Or you could do what I did. Call on your friends, not ask for introductions, sell a handful, and wonder "what the hell do I do next?" Or start callling cold names when you have no idea what you are doing and get off to a much slower start. It can be done, but it will be much slower (trust me on that one). Project 200 is just a way to get started, not the end all. I would do things much different if I had to do it all over again.

(FYI: none of this is an original thought of mine)

Just realize, your manager may have other ideas. Odds are, he is lazy and won't stay after you. But you might just find one that will work you, and will expect you to work the Project 200. You'll have some real fun if he makes you repeatedly call until you get an appointment or a no.

More importantly, why are you going onto a career contract under a manager if you don't agree with his prospecting methods? That is like going to UC at Berkley and expecting a "good Christian" education. It won't end well.

I haven't really agreed or disagreed with his methods. I think it is a good idea to send out a letter introducing yourself to your friends and family. I don't think it's a good idea to pressure them. It doesn't really matter if I agree with him or not. I simply won't call anyone I know multiple times to sell a policy.
Fullthrottle,

That is good advice, thank you.

Last edited:
I haven't really agreed or disagreed with his methods. I think it is a good idea to send out a letter introducing yourself to your friends and family. I don't think it's a good idea to pressure them. It doesn't really matter if I agree with him or not. I simply won't call anyone I know multiple times to sell a policy.
Fullthrottle,

That is good advice, thank you.

Its never a good idea to pressure anyone. It doesn't work.

But either agree with him, or move on. There is no point joining a career shop as a new agent if you aren't prepared to fully buy into their methods. There are too many out there, and you can always be independent. Being at a career shop and expecting training when you don't agree with it is the worst of everything. You aren't getting training you'll follow, and you are getting reduced commissions.

I think we're back to square 1. So...you mail out 200 letters. And then what. Wait for the phone to ring?

I say sending out the 200 letter is great - do it. But you'll need to find a marketing activity for around 4 hours per day every day if you want to start putting business on the books.

I think we're back to square 1. So...you mail out 200 letters. And then what. Wait for the phone to ring?

I say sending out the 200 letter is great - do it. But you'll need to find a marketing activity for around 4 hours per day every day if you want to start putting business on the books.

My plan is to cold call on the phone and go door to door. I am even looking into getting something like Mojo dialer to make the process easier on myself.

My plan is to cold call on the phone and go door to door. I am even looking into getting something like Mojo dialer to make the process easier on myself.

Buy a list, use mojo, burn through the records and learn what you're doing, then call youf ramily and friends.

After you send out that initial "notification" letter to those 200 (and sit down with them to brainstorm names, etc.), I'd keep mailing a newsletter or something to them.

Why?
1. If you don't continuously remind them of what you do, they'll do business with someone else. Guaranteed.

2. You'll increase in prestige, knowledge and reputation with each mailing you do. It's a commitment to show that you're in this for the long haul.

Of course, do this after you've made some money. The Virtual Sales Assistant has some customizable newsletters you can use.

Back