Here's the Situation

g717

This is going to be a bit long sorry...

Worked captive selling life annuities and ltc for about a year and a half... was successful but I drove 3 hours a day... (basically I had no life)

Got my pc license and joined a indy agency! (Woohoo!)

Here's my problem... I went indy because I wanted to start my own book of business... most of the log in information is shared... so out of 7-8 agents we all have same password and username for most carriers... (fishy)
They haven't gave me access to the management system, it's been 5 months... (fishy)
I don't have experience in the p and c world so when I have a question they pretty much say... your not ready to write this one yet go on to the next...

They want me to be in the office so I can write new business but honestly they have 7 -8 agents that are there as well so it's almost impossible...

I ask questions on if all policies are the same and the answer is always well you can read through each contract to see if it is...
I asked one of the agents that works with me how he knew if a certain carrier would actually pay out the claim and he just said... u kinda have to just trust they will do the right thing...

Biggest reason for me not being able to sell is just because I don't have a reason to say we'll my agency's progressive policiy is better than your current one... so I try to sell on price... but that isn't right...

I'm 21... considering just starting my own agency because why split 70/30 if they are not going to help me with anything...

I'm looking for help... it's honestly my dream to be able to run a successful agency and help clients with what they need accurately...

Last edited:
It is tough to get your own P & C appointments if you are new. But some carriers might be willing to give you a chance if you have a good business plan, network and some idea of the P & C world. I would stick it out and get at least 1 year experience in P & C before heading out on your own. You will be able to have more carriers look at you at that point.

Ask different people - company underwriters, sales reps, company service team, this board, etc... Somebody is going to get you some sort of answers.

I suspect many agencies are run like this but I don't blame you for thinking it's fishy. Sounds like a long time agency that hasn't adapted to new ways of doing things as much as they should.

I suspect many agencies are run like this but I don't blame you for thinking it's fishy. Sounds like a long time agency that hasn't adapted to new ways of doing things as much as they should.
It started in 2008

g717, I'm new here myself, I've been in the p/c game since 09' (when I turned 18 and graduated HS) this was supposed to be a job through college... got my associates and have yet to go back. Anyways I've been at two captive agency's and do not own my own book. - MISTAKE

I'm trying to go A.I now, I've been talking to Iroquois Group and they seem very competitive, you'll still have a 70/30 split at first, but after you build there pay is tired to lower the split with them. Now it is not a guarantee for appointments, but may help.

I would say, stick around the current place for a bit, get some more experience, and then go to a group or use your book in 3 or 4 years and go after appointments.

no agency mgmt login after 5 months is just wack... how are you filling out your apps? typewriter? LOL

and Iroquois group has done right by my office. Interview your rep and make sure they are actually going to work for you.. some are good and some aren't.

If you're local to NY or CT i'll get you a login and give ya split :yes:

I'm 21... considering just starting my own agency because why split 70/30 if they are not going to help me with anything...

I was 23 when I started. I think you should try Liberty Mutual. They will give you a salary pay for some leads, but will micromanage you to make sure you are selling. If you go into it with a work all the time attitude, then they, by default, will lay off. Do that for 4 or 5 years then go indie, not nat wide or aste or stfm..pure indie.

Back