Hiring Sales Rep

DSInsurance

Expert
I am an IA and I have 1 full time CSR as my staff at this point. My book is now getting too large for just 1 CSR and will be looking to add a 2nd full time CSR this summer. My issue I suppose is I have really been wanting to expand my commercial book of business as I am probably 75% personal lines and 25% commercial at this point.

So I want I will be hiring my 2nd CSR and want to seek your opinions on if you feel it's a good time to bring on an inside/outside sales rep for commercial and personal lines before I get my 2nd CSR or after?

I am curious as I cross that threshold of being a 1 man shop to now with 1 CSR and to then continue to my growing Agency. How did you do this in your agency? Any insight would be great to help me know when is the write time to bring someone in like this and making sure I can afford all my new staff.

I am a P&C Agency that started scratch.

Thanks for any feedback

I would love to hear from others. I’m a one man shop and am considering doing this opposite. I’m considering hiring commission based sales reps and have them service their own book up until a certain volume. Would also love to connect. I’m a scratch agent as well. Trying to figure this whole things out. I’m 50% commercial and 50% personal.

Best of luck to both of you. You may do well to call some successful agency owners in your cluster, or in your neighborhood. Most successful agents want to see other agents succeed.

The unfortunate reality is you are going to get a lot of responses on here, and few if any will be from people that have actually built a successful agency. I am constantly coming across clowns on here that have no idea what they are talking about, but can't wait to dispense their "expertise". Most of the responses will unfortunately be of what well meaning agents imagine is the best route. You may get a few worthwhile responses too, but don't get too hopeful. The background of the person giving the advise is worth looking closer at than the advise itself.

I would love to hear from others. I’m a one man shop and am considering doing this opposite. I’m considering hiring commission based sales reps and have them service their own book up until a certain volume. Would also love to connect. I’m a scratch agent as well. Trying to figure this whole things out. I’m 50% commercial and 50% personal.

haha, looks like we're both in NC and looking for the same thing. Just my opinion/experience: It will be hard to have a commission based sales rep to also service all of his/her P&C accounts once they grow that book past a certain point. Typically in P&C, you'll need a CSR for every three outside producers if they are mid-level and depending on the size of their book. I'm attempting to be an outside sales rep, and a CSR at the same time currently and it's not easy playing both roles. When I was just selling, I was much more successful than I am being half producer/half CSR. You can certainly start em out like that though, and then if they are successful maybe have an incentive for them. "Once you reach X level of production, we will service your accounts for you" I'm really torn on how to find good outside sales reps and the balance of managing them, their books, field underwriting, etc. I'm starting to think there is no set way about it, other than to just hire em on and let them sink or swim haha. Let me know how things go, and I'll do the same. Hopefully we can both find a good formula between us and both profit.

haha, looks like we're both in NC and looking for the same thing. Just my opinion/experience: It will be hard to have a commission based sales rep to also service all of his/her P&C accounts once they grow that book past a certain point. Typically in P&C, you'll need a CSR for every three outside producers if they are mid-level and depending on the size of their book. I'm attempting to be an outside sales rep, and a CSR at the same time currently and it's not easy playing both roles. When I was just selling, I was much more successful than I am being half producer/half CSR. You can certainly start em out like that though, and then if they are successful maybe have an incentive for them. "Once you reach X level of production, we will service your accounts for you" I'm really torn on how to find good outside sales reps and the balance of managing them, their books, field underwriting, etc. I'm starting to think there is no set way about it, other than to just hire em on and let them sink or swim haha. Let me know how things go, and I'll do the same. Hopefully we can both find a good formula between us and both profit.
Yes sir we are!

Sent you a message. Would love to talk more about what you have done so far. I’m 50% sales and 50% service. It sucks! Lost of late nights and time spent in my PJs in front of a computer taking care of stuff. Lol.

Generally, the type of person that is good at servicing isn't good at sales. The type of person that is good at sales isn't normally good at servicing. This isn't true 100% of the time, but it is about 98% of the time.

Generally, the type of person that is good at servicing isn't good at sales. The type of person that is good at sales isn't normally good at servicing. This isn't true 100% of the time, but it is about 98% of the time.

Totally get this. Each can cross over slightly but the service type person I’ve seen typically gives up on a sale because of $1.

Back