Horses and Extended Laibility- California

Jerbond

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hello ow wise insurance guru's! I have yet another issue. I BOR'd a nice Travelers package a few months ago. The insured calls me up and ask's to place some people as additional insured's on his HO and umbrella. The insured has 3 horses for personal use. They are offsite, they are stabled at another location. When I called up Travelers, they said that they will not extend the liability AND that they are non-renewing the policies! Whoa nelly! First off, the horses are not endorsed (this is my fault, and looking to fix) on the policies. Secondly, Travelers doesn't like the bording/showing/racing/breeding of horses-which none of are taking place. Basically, these horses are used for personal recreation- nothing more. Let's call them bicycles. Since the insured cannot store them on his own property, they need to live somewhere offsite. Let's call it Bob's garage- a leased backyard. Bob just wants to make sure that if a "bicycle" gets out and hurts somebody, the insured is ultimately responsible. How is it that if I hit somebody with my boat, it's covered under my HO-3. But my horse isn't? Technically, it's personal property right? Anyways, can somebody lend some insight on this? Also, what other carriers might be more apt to cover this exposure?

Back