How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestions?

Re: How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestio

True. But what they made up is still compliant with the law. What changed was the implementation not the actual law.

GI isn't in the original law. HHS added that after the fact when they discovered that carriers had the ability to reject a child. Obamacrap required carriers to cover pre-ex IF they accepted the app.

GI after the fact.

OEP after the fact.

How many more changes before (and after) 9/23/2010?

Original intent of bill was clearly GI on children which is what HHS went by.

Intent isn't worth the paper it was written on, which is one reason why this law is such a mess.

They also expect employers to play nice and keep group health plans in place, they expect people to buy through the exchange, they expect Medicare docs will accept the 23% cut in reimbursement as specified in Obamacrap, they expect millions of employers will gladly send out 1099's to all vendors that sold them $600 or more of goods, they expect 16 million will go willingly on the Medicaid rolls and they expect docs will be glad to pick up 16 million new patients at reimbursements that are half what
carriers pay.

And they expect the voters to be pleased with what they have done and throw out all the Republicans in Congress.

In general, we will have to come to grips with the difference between a health warranty that cover day to day stuff like physicals, colds, flu, cuts, bruises and health insurance, which covers the sudden and unexpected things that can happen to people.

Health warranty plans could then be based on YOU as an individual, similar in someways to how auto insurance can be rated to you as a driver. Basically, a heavy utilizer would pay more, a person of the same age who doesn't utilize it much, would pay less.

Fair? Actually, most would probably think so. Its hard to be fair in everyones eyes.

Health insurance, which would then cover larger issues, would have that cost removed from the health warranty plan and be pretty affordable, if enough people are enrolled. Perhaps true health insurance is covered by the government and people just pay for their own health warranty, either with a policy, or just simply paying the doctor.

Just like my house:
- I pay to have my grass mowed.
- Water heater breaks, I pay to have it replaced.
- Fence goes down? It's less than my deductible, I pay to replace it.
- House burns to the ground? Insurance company writes a check.

Because I pay separately for routine stuff and relatively minor maintainence issues, my homeowners policy is very affordable. My house is also in very good condition, so my rate is low.

More of this philosophy needs to be applied to the health insurance world, so people are incentivised to not be a heavy utilizer. This should not be a tax thing, but a direct reflection of what you pay.

Dan

Republicans had their own version which never got out of committee thanks to Pelosi. DC played all kind of games, claiming the Republicans wanted to criticize but never came up with a plan.

Total BS.

Oh, I know that they had one. And I dont doubt that it was Pelosi that blocked it. But my point is that they failed to publicize it adequately.

I would bet that at least 75% of americans could not even name 3 major changes that the republican bill proposed.

I watch the sunday morning news shows every week; republican leaders where busy blasting Obamacare left and right, but they did very little to support and publicize their own agenda. Where were the commercials outlining an alternative? They barely lifted a finger to publicize it to the american people; and since there was no public pressure to do an apples to apples comparison of the two plans in congress, it was never done and easily swept under the rug.

Last edited:

Depends on the wife's job skills. What if the wife doesn't have a degree or marketable skill? If that's the case she's looking at $8/hr jobs.

That's $320/wk but now you need full-time child care for two kids. Price it up and you'll be starting the bidding at $150/wk per kid or $300. So she'd net $20.

We're in that exact same position - not financially but my wife worked as kind of a glorified assistant for a major bank for 14 years. Before that she was a Hooters waitress. Don't think she could get that position back at 47.

After she got laid off the only job she found was working at a daycare for $7.50. After we crunched the numbers she was better off home. As our son got older she went back looking for a job - even part time. After looking for about 6 months, filling out endless online applications (which was the only way to apply with most companies) and not even getting a single call back, she threw in the towel.

My wife hasn't gone to college. We figure if she got a job, almost all she makes would go to daycare for 3 kids.

"Child-only policies are gone. "

Don't confuse what may go on in your state for all states. At least, not just yet.

My state still does insure children in a stand alone policy at their lowest rate the under 25 bracket.

This person should check all their options and pencil out what works best.

My state and the OP's state are the same.

The major players in Michigan except for BCBSM eliminated child-only policies months ago. BCBSM isn't particularly competitive price-wise and doesn't offer a plan with good routine office visit coverage.

Allen - r u the broker on these plans? Do you still recommend them to your clients? The ones for UHC aren't too bad but haven't really compared them line by line with the ones you noted here.
Hello Dorlow,

1. You ARE getting a great price for a family of four. One thing that is missing is a stand alone Injury plan. Virtually every high-deductible family health insurance plan I set up has an injurybenefit.com policy as part of the package.

2. In 2014, the government will help you pay the premium for your health insurance, if purchase it through the new exchange and your family income in under $80k annually. Here is a link to a calculator to determine how much your monthly government health insurance subsidy will be: Health Reform Subsidy Calculator

Good luck to you Dorlow.

-Allen in Chicago

P.S. Just saw your last post... You can get good Dental and Vision savings (30% to 50%) from the DentaSaver plan for about $20 a month, family coverage. See www.10DollarDental.com

Back