How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestions?

Re: How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestio

blame the Republicans for never publicizing any alternative

Republicans had their own version which never got out of committee thanks to Pelosi. DC played all kind of games, claiming the Republicans wanted to criticize but never came up with a plan.

Total BS.

Last edited:

Check child only policies after 9/23/10 nationwide. I dare you.

One possible variable is the open enrollment provision, but I don't think that is a major game changer for agents or consumers. It simply limits carrier exposure to a smaller time frame.

open enrollment provision, but I don't think that is a major game changer

It isn't. Will have a nominal effect of reducing adverse selection but not enough to counter GI without a mandate. Even GI with a mandate is still a tough act, especially when talking about child policies.

Won't kids with creditable coverage be able to slide into a GI plan even if it's not during the OEP?

GI with a mandate is a pipe dream as well, this is a good preview.

TX - this is a clusterf*ck on such a massive scale I have doubts as to whether or not the exchanges are even implemented in 2014.

Well considering it is federal law and wheels are in motion ... Short of an outright repeal which is highly unlikely, I have no reason to believe it won't be implemented.

Details will change but to say it won't be implemented at this stage is a huge stretch.

Child GI was a federal law and all of a sudden now we have OEP's...which is not in the legislation which one could argue legally cannot be implemented.

Doesn't matter - this stuff is changing by the day. I will also remind you that the legislation puts the burden of exchanges on each state. The states could sit out or file suits again, right before implementation.

Carriers also have to participate in those exchanges. Question - how many national carriers currently participate in Mass.? What if, for example, the carriers balk.

Last edited:

Child GI has not changed John. You can not decline or waiver children. No pre ex either.

All the OEP does is limit when apps can be accepted to avoid the bad press of not taking children at all.

For many companies this will be enrollment in one crap plan. Overpriced. No brokers.

If rated super high the risk pools will bs cheaper. That's the plan.

Change you can believe in.

There is nothing in the legislation citing open enrollment periods for GI. They basically just made that up. More will be "made up" as time goes by.

Back