How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestions?

Re: How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestio

When you do that it is no longer single payer . . .

Not true.

Who says that private insurance companies cant make bids to the states or to the national gov. to underwrite a national HI plan?

Who says that hospitals couldnt remain private institutions that negotiate rates as they do currently?

Who says that the feds have to be anything more than a billing intermediary?

Medicare is a single payer system. Medicare is broke.

Social Security is a single payer system. Social Security is broke.

What makes you think turning over another system to the govt will work any better than the ones they have now?

Thats why I believe that privatized elements would be the key. Medicare & Social Security fraud is rampant.

Mostly because we do not try very hard to fight the fraud. Comparatively, HI companies fight very hard to eliminate fraud, and ensure that money spent is going to valid health care.

I am not a fan of government programs by any means; but I would not necessarily be against a public/private partnership (just not in its current proposed form!!)

Just because they are a right, doesn't mean you can't be deprived of them. See Obamacare and the Constitution, clear attempt to deprive us of certain rights.

In fact, other than air and water, I can't think of a single right that is free. And if you want your air and water clean, that will cost money.

Everyone should have access to a basic level of health care, the quesiton is, what is appropriate.

There is no right to shelter or food in this country. If there is, you'd better tell the people living in tent cities - they'd like to know.

And Medicare will never go broke so long as the government still have a checking account.

I'll agree with that, however you need a compulsory system in place, tort reform, NO coverage for illegals (they would have to literally be refused services), and care rationing.

Americans are not willing to do any of the above at this time. I am not suggesting all of the above either.

Having a sales tax would basically be a compulsory system... at least to pay.

Tort reform is long overdue.

Having a sales tax would actually allow illegals who are living in the country to have access to care that they have actually paid for..... as opposed to now, where they go to the ER and never pay for services.

I realize this is a hot button for lots of people (especially in TX), but illegal immigrants are a necessary evil in this country at the moment; until we get some type of effective temporary foreign worker program in place they always will be. And many illegal immigrants provide needed services in this country, so it makes sense to give them access to some type of effective health care.
(you can argue that illegal workers are not needed, but let them all move away tomorrow and you will see how wrong you are)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Is this in addition to the Bush tax cuts expiring?

Well, personally I think that the Bush tax cuts should remain... actually, Im a fan of a flat national sales tax (same for everyone) instead of a graduated income tax...
But I digress.

So a foreign visitor comes here and buys a back of bubble gum, pays 1 cent tax and gets an organ transplant for free?

So now we are the worlds dumping ground for free medical procedures? Ohhh wait - we already are.

Of course not. But they should receive emergency care if needed, just as we do overseas in many countries. At least this way they would be helping to pay for it.

If they are found abusing the system somehow, put them in the cargo hold of a freighter ship back to their home country...

Last edited:

stat is something like 2% are responsible for 50% of all claims

The one I recall from days in the reinsurance biz were 20% of covered participants generated 80% of the total claim dollars spent. It is a very small percentage of claimants, less than 5% that generate the majority of claims that exceed $50,000.

What's the practical thing to do if it's indeed curable but will cost $500,000?

Under Obamacrap you will get a chance to test that. Medicare beneficiaries will be the first to get a taste of evidence based treatment protocol followed closely by those on Medicaid.

Everyone should have access to a basic level of health care

I would argue that most everyone does indeed have access to basic health care. In addition to Medicaid, there are plenty of free clinics funded by taxpayer dollars as well as those funded by private charity. With the growth of Minute Clinics and similar venues in pharmacy's and Wal-Mart there is hardly an excuse for avoiding basic care.

In spite of all this, over half of all non-emergency ER visits are by those with health insurance and most of those have Medicaid.

Even when health care is free, way too many people do not take care of themselves. Something on the order of 70% of claim dollars are spent on lifestyle related illness and 80% of those claims could have been prevented with proper diet and exercise.

We are the fattest nation on earth and the obesity rate is climbing. Heart related disease and diabetes are the offshoot of obesity.

If you think health care and health insurance is expensive now, just wait until it is "free".

SCagent, I am repeating, but name a single payer system that is not in financial distress, serves all the population and there is no rationing.

NO coverage for illegals

Across Texas, 60,000 babies of noncitizens get U.S. birthright | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

Last edited:

To some extent I agree no child should suffer due to an irresponsible or parent who simply doesn't have the money. However those who have the ability to pay should not get a free ride. Child only plans USED to cost $50 to $150/mo in most markets (average under $100!). Of course these days are largely gone with most carriers pulling out of child only plans, and GI with no pre ex and no mandate - you are going to see children getting rated up to 1000% in some markets and street rates 3 to 10X what they are today.

If a parent can afford it, they should pay it. But even wealthy parents can be irresponsible. Just because someone makes $100K/year doesnt mean they arent broke. It also doesnt mean that they have adequate HI either. I realize its the parents fault, but the point is that its not the kids fault and that they should be taken care of.
The one I recall from days in the reinsurance biz were 20% of covered participants generated 80% of the total claim dollars spent. It is a very small percentage of claimants, less than 5% that generate the majority of claims that exceed $50,000.

Under Obamacrap you will get a chance to test that. Medicare beneficiaries will be the first to get a taste of evidence based treatment protocol followed closely by those on Medicaid.

I would argue that most everyone does indeed have access to basic health care. In addition to Medicaid, there are plenty of free clinics funded by taxpayer dollars as well as those funded by private charity. With the growth of Minute Clinics and similar venues in pharmacy's and Wal-Mart there is hardly an excuse for avoiding basic care.

In spite of all this, over half of all non-emergency ER visits are by those with health insurance and most of those have Medicaid.

Even when health care is free, way too many people do not take care of themselves. Something on the order of 70% of claim dollars are spent on lifestyle related illness and 80% of those claims could have been prevented with proper diet and exercise.

We are the fattest nation on earth and the obesity rate is climbing. Heart related disease and diabetes are the offshoot of obesity.

If you think health care and health insurance is expensive now, just wait until it is "free".

Good post. Interesting numbers.

SCagent, I am repeating, but name a single payer system that is not in financial distress, serves all the population and there is no rationing.

Im not sure why this line isnt showing up on your post in the regular thread, but it does when I quote you, and it shows in your post below when im responding.... wierd

Honestly I cant. But our system is broken as well when it comes to being in financial distress, just in different ways.

There is no perfect system and there will probably never be one. But that doesnt mean that we cant make efforts to improve what we have.

I am not supporting Obamacare because I think its an atrocity; but I do support trying to make positive changes to the system, which is very long overdue.

This is an interesting Gallup poll about the perception among citizens of affordabillity of healthcare and quality of health care in the US/Canada/GB. It shows that there isnt too much difference, and that Americans feel they have better quality.

Gallup poll
Ok, now that comment is showing.... wierd

Last edited:

Honestly I cant. But our system is broken as well when it comes to being in financial distress, just in different ways.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I see no reason to throw out something that works for 80% of the population in favor of something else that is proven to fail.

Obamacare because I think its an atrocity; but I do support trying to make positive changes to the system,

Name one positive aspect of Obamacrap that is truly better overall than status quo. Obamacrap does nothing to lower the cost of health care and actually makes access to health care more expensive overall. It is a completely dysfunctional idea that accomplishes nothing positive for anyone.

......I believe the stat is something like 2% are responsible for 50% of all claims? Cap the 2% and we'll all be fine.

What's the practical thing to do if someone is diagnosed with an incurable disease? Don't allow payment for the treatment. What's the practical thing to do if it's indeed curable but will cost $500,000? Don't allow payment for treatment.

I'm with you John on the practical thing to do. Eliminate the sick and poor for the betterment of the whole. Has A. Hitler been reincarnated?:embarrassed:

Name one positive aspect of Obamacrap that is truly better overall than status quo. Obamacrap does nothing to lower the cost of health care and actually makes access to health care more expensive overall. It is a completely dysfunctional idea that accomplishes nothing positive for anyone.

And thats why I said that I dont support it!

I said I support positive improvements. Obamacare certainly is not positive.

But I do blame the Republicans for never publicizing any alternative, because we certainly need an alternative to support

"Child-only policies are gone. "

Don't confuse what may go on in your state for all states. At least, not just yet.

My state still does insure children in a stand alone policy at their lowest rate the under 25 bracket.

This person should check all their options and pencil out what works best.

Back