How Are You Handling Your Customer Service?

Even if you can't hire a full time CSR, just hiring someone to come in the office to answer the phones and handle smaller stuff can be really helpful.

I think for right now I am going to try and go at it alone and eventually bring on a prt timer for about 20hrs a week

I'm thinking of adding a CSR or "just hiring someone to come in the office to answer the phones and handle smaller stuff" as MedicarePlanSolutions said. What do you think would be an appropriate compensation for a CSR with insurance background (no selling required)?

If they're just licensed to do CSR work you can usually find someone from $10-$12/hr. In most cases you can legitimately pay them on a 1099 basis because they are working as indy contractors too.

What do you think would be an appropriate compensation for a CSR with insurance background (no selling required)?

Ann,
Spend "your" commission dollars to pay someone who does zero selling activities ? or hire someone who's been previously trained by a competitor? I've never developed a great relationship with someone who cannot generate any revenue for my business. Or someone who has been trained to do things that I do not incorporate in my business model.

GOV,
Sorry... not on the same page with other posters. You're a $50-100/hour employee....your most productive activity is generating revenue....if you "use" time doing $12/hour service work when you could be earning triple with the same time spent selling....wouldn't you want the extra $$ and the extra time?

1manshow!! I like your thinking and that has always been my model, keep your sales rep doing thingsthat generate income versus doing service tasks. I think ist almost a catch 22, but i realize also that if I do bring on someone to do nonselling activites , it will allow me to go and bring in more business to the company.

1manshow , how do you operate things in your agency?

Every position in my office generates revenue....or change is required.

Especially the unlicensed staff who are required to make daily bday calls, ask for referrals, solicit requotes on old prospects, follow up on direct mailers, etc.

I enjoy seeing my competitors allowing their employees to dictate what tasks they perform. That's why I occasionally give an employee their freedom to go work for my competition...it's a better fit anyhow:yes:

At age 49 my selling days are done. I'm not sure I ever was that great of a salesman anyhow, just honest and a hard worker...which will overcome a lot of shortcomings in the sales dept.

Go ahead Gov, jump in and test the water...it will be great motivation to get out and sell;) not to mention the stress relief of being able to delegate

I tell my clients to specifically NOT call the insurance company if they have a question or a problem. I want all of them to call me. I lose less clients that way.

However, there is very little service work associated with the products I sell. I can easily and conveniently handle the calls I receive.

I am surprised at how much business i do over TEXT messages.......

I love email and texts, then I can do that particular item when i have time or when I want.....

I tell my clients to specifically NOT call the insurance company if they have a question or a problem. I want all of them to call me. I lose less clients that way.

However, there is very little service work associated with the products I sell. I can easily and conveniently handle the calls I receive.

Xs 2.

I took a bank change call today. I suggested that I introduce myself to her beneficiary. I am now quoting her family also. I will introduce myself to their beneficiary also. And the beat goes on........

BTW, I do not do the bank changes. I pass those off to others.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am surprised at how much business i do over TEXT messages.......

I love email and texts, then I can do that particular item when i have time or when I want.....

Just started doing that this year. Not just snot nosed 20 year old either. I use a google voice number from my desk top and cell.

Last edited:
Back