How did you start out?

Started with a recruiting call from AFLAC. Had no interest in selling insurance. Started with AFLAC in 2003, made it 1.5 years of nose to the grindstone, working 50+ hours a week talking to anyone that would listen--or had a pulse. Market was so oversaturated that I pulled the plug. I call AFLAC--"Strike 1." Then moved on to selling mortgage protection, door to door, face to face at the kitchen table buying leads from my so called mentor. Had no idea really what I was selling--horrible training. Any guesses?? That's right NAA. I call that "Strike 2." After burning out on paying $19 for a name on a sheet of paper that was called a lead--I cut bait and went to work for a major online direct marketer of term insurance. I wrote 3500 term and UL policies in 3 years. I call this the "Home Run." I only call it the home run because I now have a wealth of product knowledge, underwriting prowess and have dealt with very high profile clients over the years. Since then I have gone to work for another Direct marketer but I am now in the space of working with ourside agents recruiting and training--as well as maintaining my book of business in house. All in all, I am 5000+ policies sold and have written over $6mm in premium.

3 sales jobs in a row - companies went under. Got into selling Pontiac/GMC then got a call to sell Beemers.

Can't make this up. Earning 10K a month, everything going great. Dealership changes owners. New owner holds a meeting, comes right and and says that he doesn't believe car salesman should make six figures and he's "clearing the floor." Comp cut in half. He was famously heard by the entire sales floor screaming at the general manager "If another rep makes over $1,000 in a week, you're fired."

So do I stay for 50K or go. I went. When I quit I needed my own insurance so I put in for a quote and got contacted by a Mega rep who came over and pitched me and my wife.

The rep turned out to be a district manager and when he found out I was in sales but out of work he suggested I work for Mega.

PS: That Beemer owner who blew out the entire sales force is thriving. He's now got college kids working for around 50K in commissions and they're in heaven. Last I checked they were the number 1 Beemer dealer in MD.

Last edited:
How did you start out selling insurance? What type of company did you work for? How many hours did you work a week? If you could do anything differently what would it be? Why did you start working in insurance? What was the worst type of company you have worked for, and what was the best? I'm looking to start selling insurance so wanted to know about others experiences!

1. Had a dead-end, $14/hour job in a doctor's office where I was responsible for learning every health insurance plan (even MEGA!) in the state and then explaining the benefits to policy holders. When I wasn't doing that, I was on the phone with insurance carriers chasing down bills. Eventually I realized I knew enough about the products and processes that I could just become an agent; learning to sell was a whole other ball of wax.

2. Independent from day one

3. 70+ without question. That office job was from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM because of the commute. I just worked the same hours at home.

4. If I could do anything differently, I'd have started much sooner.

I can't remember all the questions but my wife got breast cancer, missed 6 days of work and she got fired. She was the breadwinner with all the benefits and had been on the job over 20 years. I owned a one man business...mostly making some extra income and playing "Mr. Mom" Suddenly, had to find something to pay the bills and the $900 a month COBRA payment. This was a necessity as my wife still had many months left of her cancer treatment.

I knew a DM at Aflac, got my life and health license and went to work. Had two good months (out of 14). I did get some great training but not so good income. My goal was to work Aflac hard for one year. If I made it...good. If not...at least I would know the industry, have the skill sets and be able to position myself in the industry.

Recently picked up my P&C license and am an agent for one of the big guys. Since getting out of the supplemental market and getting into a "full service" agency, leads, referrals, appointments and sales have sky rocketed. They are coming out of the woodwork. PTL.

I even have an appointment with my old Aflac DM next week to look over his insurance needs.

I'm still pretty green but having a full arsenal, to sell from, sure makes a huge difference.

Surfy

Back