How did you start out?

I can't remember all the questions but my wife got breast cancer, missed 6 days of work and she got fired. She was the breadwinner with all the benefits and had been on the job over 20 years. I owned a one man business...mostly making some extra income and playing "Mr. Mom" Suddenly, had to find something to pay the bills and the $900 a month COBRA payment. This was a necessity as my wife still had many months left of her cancer treatment.

I knew a DM at Aflac, got my life and health license and went to work. Had two good months (out of 14). I did get some great training but not so good income. My goal was to work Aflac hard for one year. If I made it...good. If not...at least I would know the industry, have the skill sets and be able to position myself in the industry.

Recently picked up my P&C license and am an agent for one of the big guys. Since getting out of the supplemental market and getting into a "full service" agency, leads, referrals, appointments and sales have sky rocketed. They are coming out of the woodwork. PTL.

I even have an appointment with my old Aflac DM next week to look over his insurance needs.

I'm still pretty green but having a full arsenal, to sell from, sure makes a huge difference.

Surfy

Is this Roy?

I started because when I got married, we put every penny into a house we had just purchased, and stupidly without work. Insurance at the time, was the only job I could get quick, so with $300 in my pocket I invested in leads, and had my sale by the first week. The company paid daily, so fortunately I was in luck. I was able to make my mortgage payment plus some in Month one. The advancing from Agent, to manager at the time was quite easy, the company was desperate, and we were too...so eventually I started training agents and within 3 months we started making bookoo money...and my largest check was 20k in a month. I found it quite pleasing to do sales, I loved to talk, and the way I was trained, was great as well. But to begin I did the walk and talks, the leads, etc...I started fairly young, so I never really did a job I didn't like, everything like anything was an experience. I used to work like 40hrs a wk only to earn enough for gas and maybe $50 in groceries a wk. (No lie) I then began to work 40 hrs a wk in Insurance...eventually it began to slow over the last 3 yrs to about 30 ...and made quite a good income. Last yr, I took a break...and now am restarting from scratch back in the Ins biz...long story, but I love telling it..

P.S. I began with an Agency that was captive, (you get the quickest and most effective training-because you have to know your good at sales to make it, if you can only sell one product and make it work with what you have) then as we grew stronger we switched to being a Broker...love having multiple products, but be careful-when you offer too much, you can give to many options, learn to limit, and push what is good for the client and you. Narrow your products down to a few carriers. (Do not confuse the client)

Last edited:
Is this Roy?

No, but my Aflac experience probably mirrors most of the agents there. Staying ingognito for a while here on the boards. Reading and absorbing a lot. Will "come out" when I get to the level I want to be at and can show myself that I can make a consistant living at this.

Surfy

In kindergarten.

What were you selling in kindergarten? Your snack cookies? Is that when you knew for sure that sales was your line of work? Or were you selling your charm...hmm, no probably your snack cookies.:laugh:

I can't remember the questions now, but started with A. L. Williams over 30 yrs ago, at that time everybody was a financial advisor if you could fog a mirror. Have walked away 3 differant times, mort., r.e., home building, home improvement, etc., always gravitate back to the Ins. bus. Find a niche that you believe in and start talking to people. Hardest job I ever had was selling cars, had to be there all the time to lead the board, way over that kind of nonsense now. Good luck with whatever you decide. GO BRAVES

Back