How Do You Feel About Hiring a Coach?

I would be in favor of hiring a coach for my producers.

Why attempt to do something I am not an expert at...coaching? If I can hire an experienced professional and reap the rewards of increased production from my producers I am in favor.

Judging from the previous sarcasm, skepticism I'm glad for you that you aren't soliciting this forum for clients!

@singingsabre, thanks for the apology.

@Midwestbroker, I'm very happy to hear that SIMA is developing a system for this. I spoke with rep from a large company in November that had 1400 clients but didn't contact them and didn't have a system in place to take care of them or service them. Yet their turnover rate for agents in their company was staggering. There are so many ways to help junior agents and independent agents work together to build a better relationship with existing clients as well as bring on new clients but it seems too many companies just don't see how.

@1manshow, you are right on the money. Time is an issue for many primaries out there an yet if an outside resource can be utilized, the potential for an entire office is huge. And yes, this seems to have been a tough "room" but I truly want to hear from agents directly so here I am.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! I hope all I you have set great goals for 2014 (not resolutions, goals). Here are some tips if you choose to look into a coach for yourself or a junior rep:

1. Find a program that will help you become the best you, you can be. You are not a copy of someone else and they should not make you become one.

2. There should not be a time commitment involved with the coaching. I say this because sometimes a coach and client just don't mesh and the coach should have the integrity to fire them self and suggest a different coach or program. If you feel it is not a good fit you should be able to have a say. Don't let them keep you on the hook for a long time frame. Some companies do this with "added" value. A coach should give you their all right from the get go. We have found our typical coach/client relationship lasts 12-18 months. (Unless we are on retainer)

3. Industry specific knowledge is a must. This may be obvious but many companies will claim they can coach anyone but if you need that iron sharpening iron approach make sure they have why it takes. DON'T be afraid to ask for references. Any coach worth their asking price should have clients that would be eager to give them a reference.

4. Everyone needs someone in their corner that is just for them. We all need someone to hold us accountable during the times we feel frustrated or lost. Most of us have cheerleaders that will tell us, "You can do it!!" But we need a coach to help us construct the plays and help us find the motivation that will get the job done.

Again, happy new year and may 2014 be the best year you have ever had, both personally and professionally.

Back