How do you find prospects with money?

For some it is the hand to hand combat that makes life worth living. :yes:
To each their own.

I would never want to get into a back and forth with someone to sell something. I want to educate my consumer/prospect to the point where they know that I'm the expert in what they are looking for.

Since they already indicated an interest in my services, I simply facilitate their purchase.

But aren't there a long list of other benefits available through the association?

Was it you or someone else talking about Medicare paying for vision exams and treatment if there was a medical problem as one of the reasons for claiming a DVH plan wasn't a good buy? The MALICO plan pays in addition to anything and since there is immediate coverage for exams they use the money for anything they like even if the exam is done a month after purchase.

Yep.. there are additional discounts through the Association.

I did not make the Medicare argument for DHV. I wouldn't personally rely on telling someone Medicare will cover your vision if it's medical based (just because that argument is the same type of argument that Dr. Belk tries to sell on why you don't really need a Medigap plan and I like for a policy to stand on it's own merits.)

I don't like DHV because of how they were structured for a really, really long time.

Medico is an example I point to, but for the longest they were a good indication of low cost dental, vision, and hearing insurance worked.

Those sorts of plans are a cash grab and to worth the money, imo.

Waiting periods were at least 3-6 months, 1500 max for all services, tiered annual co-insurance amounts that were only good in years 2-3.

Many of those plans, and just my opinion, were set up for clients to ask what they were paying for during the first 12m and the company was incentived for them to lapse. Great for the company, great for the agent at 40% fyc, but not great for the client.

There are now different options available that I'm willing to look at, and if they're good I'll offer them,, but traditional DHV wasn't great.

Last edited:
To each their own.

I would never want to get into a back and forth with someone to sell something. I want to educate my consumer/prospect to the point where they know that I'm the expert in what they are looking for.

Since they already indicated an interest in my services, I simply facilitate their purchase.

There are people that live for the hunt. I am not one of those people.

If someone is reading this and they want to maximize every sales opportunity to offer every single thing, I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

I'm not going to fight to talk to you. I'm not going to convince you to buy something. Like Ray, I want to educate, help make a decision, and get them the best coverage based on their situation.

Otherwise, I feel too salesy and if I don't believe in what I'm doing.. everyone around me knows it.

Last edited:
It's OK to walk away.

Some agents never learn this lesson.

I worked with a guy years ago that said to me "If a guy says no that makes me more determined to make him buy something from me".

I say, "Life is to short to engage in hand to hand combat to make a sale. Move on to the next one and fuggedaboutit".

I agree. The effort and time you spend on someone that just isn't right for you can be better spent elsewhere.

Here's the kicker, and a perspective that makes it easier for me:

If I write someone, I have to service that account..

Am I going to avoid this person like the plague if they have an issue because I really don't want to talk to them?

If so, it's just not a good fit. Walking away from money can be hard, but it's definitely easier when you don't NEED it.

LD, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, and are using that ignorance to leverage accusations at Travis. Your Uber analogy shows that clearly. You are swimming in waters you don't understand, and want to play lifeguard, and this is why people get mad at you.

The first thing Travis described was a bad client. The second thing he described is what most of us would do.

Mark, I think I have a much better idea of what I am talking about than you think.

Just because I don't have an insurance license or can't ride a dirt bike does not mean that I don't have some understanding of what a "problem" customer is.

I am NOT saying that Travis' customer is not a problem customer. I AM saying that it is childish and inconsistent of Travis to whine about dealing with this customer when he (Travis) (mis)uses his position, reputation, influence, etc.... to help create the type of customer he is complaining about having to deal with.

In our culture it seems to be acceptable to accord no courtesy, consideration or respect to something considered of no worth. Travis is apparently developing pretty good marketing and social engineering skills and has used those to become "an expert" in news circuits. He uses that "expert" status to basically assert that individual dental insurance has no value to any person at any time. It should then come as no surprise to him, or anyone else, insurance agent or not, that people would consider dental insurance as an object to be taken advantage of whenever, wherever and however possible.

Hey Ghost! I’ve been off here along time but for some reason checked in this morning.

I hear ya. I felt the same way for many years and have had up and downs in life and the biz over that time. Hit my low point 4 years ago in both. I learned to focus on changing myself to become a person people would want to do business with. Educated myself, read everything, explore other peoples ideas, be real with people...all good ideas. 2020 was my best year in the business by far and 2021 is on track to do the same.

Feel free to PM me. People helped me along the way and would be glad to do the same. Have an awesome day!

I learned to focus on changing myself to become a person people would want to do business with.

I second what @Life Hawk said.

Unfortunately, too many folks make buying decisions based on what they are TOLD, and don't bother to research.

My offer is simple. Give me a call and invest 10 minutes. Ask any question you want about Medicare. If you don't feel my information is valuable, say goodbye and we part as friends. After all, it is not personal, just business.

But if you have more questions I will take as much time as you need to address your concerns.

Almost everyone that does that will buy at some point.

I don't worry about those that walk away. Their loss, my gain.

Back