How Many Staffers Does It Take Per $XX Premium?

JWP

Expert
We are considering adding another CSR person to the current staff and also realigning our existing book for better efficiency.

Is there a rule of thumb regarding how much volume per staffer a P&C agency should run at? Or X amount of premium per staff hour?

thanks

I would hire a CSR after hitting $1MM. That will allow you to focus on growing new business.
Our CSR is "superior" quality and managed $10MM alone.
We have marketing EE that handle $6MM-$10MM in renewals each with New business going to whoever can handle it at the moment.

But always run semi or annual reviews to make sure your employee is not over stressed and individually can handle the work load. If she/he is under-performing try to incorporate new systems to better manage work.

I contest that 1 CSR can handle a 10MM book. Impossible.

It's more so about households & I think you need 1 CSR per 1500 households

I contest that 1 CSR can handle a 10MM book. Impossible.

It's more so about households & I think you need 1 CSR per 1500 households

Agreed. One CSR for a $10MM book is just not humanly possible. According to Best Practices a talented CSR should be able to handle a 3MM book - this of course depends on the mix of the book. If you have 1,000 contractors calling everyday to ask for primary-noncontributory certs then you are in trouble.

Agreed. One CSR for a $10MM book is just not humanly possible. According to Best Practices a talented CSR should be able to handle a 3MM book - this of course depends on the mix of the book. If you have 1,000 contractors calling everyday to ask for primary-noncontributory certs then you are in trouble.

Well no one stipulated what you're writing other then P&C... Our $10MM book is shy of 800 "accounts". The book is mainly saturated with LRO commercial buildings. They are a walk in the park to service compared to house hold policies.

I got a CSR around 600 policies in force and a bit before we hit 1MM. She's fairly busy all day long. Will probably hire another the 2MM mark. I am in a major city however so we may have a bit more service work. About 60/40 personal commercial split

500 Households

It also depends on your Rater and Management system and how automated you are. With automation I say 500-600 households.

10m on CRS- Nope....All wrong! Completely wrong.

Each house hold is 3k in WP (Ave) x 500 = 1.5m in WPishy.....reduce the prem to 2k per household x 500 you are at 1m. And that's where I would put the line in the sand.

Can an agent handle more than 500 alone- YES! But then they burn out like Ins1478 when shooting for 1500 per CSR. Doable- YES! Suggested- Personally- no.

^ I'll have you know I'm taking the service manager from the largest local IA so my life is changing Mr. Walker. Now I'll have 2 full time CSR's and I just severed a relationship with a mortgage lender to free up time. Next year it's onto something else...

...real estate.

Back