How Much Notice to Give As a 1099 Agent??

Independent means you have freedom to make choices that fit you and your style of doing business.

Independent does NOT mean 'indentured servitude' to mind someone ELSE'S business.

----------

Do you have a non-compete or a non-solicitation agreement?

Non-competes are generally illegal, in that you cannot pursue your profession at all for a period of time, or within your geographic area.

Non-solicitation agreement are rather standard that you cannot contact your clients from your former employer for a minimum period - generally 1-2 years.

Simple.. Give as much notice as you would like to have or expect if the situation were reversed and you were the "boss".

I have a non-compete. It states that I cannot work as a licensed agent selling insurance within 50 miles for 1 year.

I have a non-compete. It states that I cannot work as a licensed agent selling insurance within 50 miles for 1 year.

And how much compensation did you receive in exchange for signing this?

It won't hold water. Now, you can't go poaching their clients, but in a right to work state, they wouldn't be able to keep you from being an insurance agent unless they compensated you for it.

Also, they have locked you out of the system and charge you for the privilege of showing up. I wouldn't waste another minute there.

And no, I'm not an attorney so make of it what you will.

"I pay $200 a month for my "rent" and access to the order management system, access that I no longer have. "

Well, then plan your exit for the 1st of the month, let them know prior to that you're leaving. Leave without owing them any money at all. Pay your debts. Failure to do that is what will haunt you even into a different career.

Leave on even terms and you'll be surprised how quickly they move on without you. Insurance agencies rarely spend a lot of time on someone who leaves, unless money is owed. If you don't owe them anything they won't say jack about you as it opens them up to legal action. They'll move on before the door hits you.

I don't mean this in a bad way towards you. I have done this a couple times over the years and they forget your name pretty fast as long as you aren't walking away from a debt.

I would agree with you as that has been the case for me in the past. This time is different. When I signed up a year and a half ago Here were 2 CSR's in the office. They were supposed to take care of the current book and I was to take care of building and servicing mine. They they fired each of them over time and it is just me here in the office. I am afraid they would want me to stay, with no pay, because they have no one else here. What is the worse that could happen if I just pack up and leave? I don't get to use them as a reference? Can they sue me?

They cannot make you work for free. They cannot make you do CSR work if you were hired to sell. Sounds to me like you have allowed them to take advantage of you. They should be paying you for CSR work plus commission.

I pay $200 a month for my "rent" and access to the order management system, access that I no longer have.

I just want to do things as right as possible. I feel bad about leaving them high and dry but they caused it. I was thinking they couldn't do anything other than talk bad about me but I didn't know. I am glad everyone here is thinking along the same lines as me. I didn't know where else to ask as I have never been an independent contractor before.

----------

I agree completely, that's why I'm out of here! Unfortunately with my no-compete it is easier to change industries than work around it. Thanks for the reassurance!

In IA, as well as most states, it's not a true "non compete". It's a non solicit. You'd be fine to stay in the insurance business, just can't solicit your old clients for probably 2 years.

If you're going to stay in insurance, you've got to change the "employee/employer" mentality and realize you're a self employed business owner. There is no salary or hourly wage, you get paid for what you produce.

Thanks for all your responses. I know I let these guys take advantage of me but they kept dangling the idea of selling the book to me. I took care of the customers thinking they were going to be mine. Now I believe they were just taking advantage of me and I'm out of here. I have other job offers and I am going to take one of them.

I pay $200 a month for my "rent" and access to the order management system, access that I no longer have.

I just want to do things as right as possible. I feel bad about leaving them high and dry but they caused it. I was thinking they couldn't do anything other than talk bad about me but I didn't know. I am glad everyone here is thinking along the same lines as me. I didn't know where else to ask as I have never been an independent contractor before.

----------

I agree completely, that's why I'm out of here! Unfortunately with my no-compete it is easier to change industries than work around it. Thanks for the reassurance!

As long as you're not replacing their business, the no-compete clause shouldn't be a factor.

Back