How should I market myself?

Why do you need an office and why do you think people will come to see you? That rarely happens unless you are in a high foot traffic area and something that grabs their attention.

People will buy from you if you give them a reason to. They buy from the carrier when they think they will get a better price (wrong), they won't be pressured to buy (wrong) and they won't be bugged every few months to buy something else (wrong again).

When you call just say "This is Jack, your Medicare guy" and leave it at that.

We used to have an agent on the forum and he was known as Bob the Insurance Guy. That's what people who gave him referrals said . . . "Just call Bob the insurance guy", he will help you.

What more do you need?

I dont need an office just yet but Im thinking for the future and if I really want to keep using the IMO name for my business instead of my own brand. I see your point though is more about you as a person, but im just thinking of people who have asked me "how long have you been in business" and "ive never heard of your business". If I were to start my own company, I would be effectively be "new" on the market and no one would know who I am if they searched me on the internet or anything.

I should have been more clear. I do offer multiple carriers for sales, but say I work for "Johnny Health IMO", and I have been using that name for everything. My question is if I wanted to build my own brand under that IMO but not use their name anymore, how do I do that? Ill be a completely "new" brand. People want to work with longer term "companies" and not brand new on the market ones. Like if a person researches company A (new) and doesnt find much of anything, and then researches Company B (old company, brand recognition) and finds a lot, wouldn't they just go with company B? That's what Im trying to figure out is how to start a new brand without losing new clients because im not using old company's name anymore. Thanks for the reply

That's your belief. Imagine if you didn't have that belief.

People don't do business with companies. They obviously recognize name-brand companies, but that's not the root of relationships.

People do business with people. Especially in regards to insurance.

People don't call up the insurance company to buy policies (usually). They buy them from agents who are people (you and I).

Wino Blues, Your Insurance Guy

I just did a ' Your Insurance Guy' search on my Google Voice number. Hundreds of search results came up.

I have gotten referred to people that ask me if that is my company name because that was the contact info that was forwarded to them.

Many of my clients are not even sure what company Insures them. Just know it comes out of their bank and to call Lee, Their Insurance guy.

Build your business, not your IMOs business. They will be good with that. Any long term agent has gone through many many IMOs in their careers. IMOs have gone through hundreds of agents.

My suggestion:

Use your personal name, your own phone number, your own PO box, your own @ .com, your own CRM.
You don't work for the IMO. It is a mutual agreement. They will be happy you are growing your business. If you make bank, they make bank.

Time in business?
My business cards, I have somewhere, have 'since 1985' on them. No one cares. But they do care that I am their Insurance guy. Their guy. Their 'I got a guy' guy.

Good luck, this is a great career. With all the tools available today it has never been easier.
Go get yours.

Lee, Your Insurance Guy

Thanks Frank

thinking of people who have asked me "how long have you been in business" and "ive never heard of your business".

I don't recall ever being asked that, but probably because I am older than you. Even when I first started in the business and everything was F2F some asked me how old I was but it never seemed to be a hindrance.

If you know what you are doing and project self confidence your age, or having an extra large head, doesn't matter.

Note . . . self confidence is not the same as being a know-it-all.

If someone doesn't want to work with me because of my skin color, hair color, how little hair I have, the kind of car I drive, etc I don't care.

One thing that does come up from time to time is "Where are you from?". I have lived in the south all my life but worked with folks from almost every state so I have lost my accent.

Wino Blues, Your Insurance Guy

I just did a ' Your Insurance Guy' search on my Google Voice number. Hundreds of search results came up.

Good luck, this is a great career. With all the tools available today it has never been easier.
Go get yours.

Lee, Your Insurance Guy

Thanks Frank

Great post!

Many of the posts here are correct, you will become the brand. A brand is a distinct identity that the consumer/customer has of you. Keep something in mind though, your brand will be defined by your consumers/customers, not you. This is a mistake that many people/companies make. That is not to say you cannot select a "brand" you want to be, but it means that whatever you decide you need to live up to it so that the consumer/customers have the same opinion.

Let me give you an example to help explain. You decide on a simple brand, "high quality experienced insurance consultant". Your website is designed to reflect this, you carry specialty, high end business cards, etc. But your work is sloppy, many times you do not have the answers to their questions, you may come off as nervous or insecure, etc. There is clearly a disconnect from what you are saying your brand is as oppotsed to what is actually being seen by the consumer.

Good luck with your work.

To Jack3454:

You don't mention what your relationship actually is with your IMO. Are you a "producer" or employee without a contract to the insurance companies you sell for, or are you an "independent" broker/agent? Makes a big difference in what you can do or say to folks.

So assuming you are "independent" agent/broker, the answer to your question can't be any clearer: YOU are the "brand." To succeed in any kind of sales you must first believe in yourself. The "companies" are there to serve you and your clients, not the other way around. I wouldn't spend a dime marketing the name of any IMO/FMO, etc.

For a "marketing" identification, keep it simple to start and amend your resident state license to register a DBA (doing business as) name. Mine is my last name plus "Insurance Associates." No need to change licenses, get a new tax id etc. if simply using your name plus your DBA. If you decide later to incorporate or file as an LLC, just add that to your DBA name. (You may also want to notify carriers with whom you are appointed of your DBA.)

Remember, YOU are the "value added" ingredient to any transaction. Anybody can buy the same plan at the same rate anywhere. But they don't get the pleasure of working with YOU. So be the sauce. Stop thinking you need anything except your own efforts. The "brand" you want to build is based on YOUR integrity, reliability and concern to do what is right thing for the client.

You know, I've never ONCE had anyone ask me "Who is your IMO/FMO? But if you MUST, go ahead in the fine print (or back of your business card) and mention your IMO more as a disclosure as your "back office." But YOU are still what they're buying.

Back