How should I prepare for an Underwriting position interview?

beastofbang

I'm graduating with my BS Finance this December, and am on the job hunt. I was recently invited to a screening interview for an Insurance company sometime in the next few weeks for an Associate/Trainee Underwriting role. I would like to eventually move into a Commercial Lines/Property Insurance Underwriting role, which this company offers (as well as a myriad of other lines). I would also like to pursue the CPCU designation by The Institutes, and have 1/8 of the requirements finished. (I would have pursued the other requirements, but my University only offers 1/8 at this time).

What information should I know going into this? How do I sell that I'm interested in the Insurance industry? What are good weaknesses/strengths to have for an Underwriting position? What do Underwriting Managers/Seniors look for in their Associates/Trainees?

Any and all advice is welcome on this - I feel like I have a firm grasp on Underwriting as a profession, but always appreciate other perspectives. Thanks all!

Do everything you can to show them that you're serious and committed. Wear a cape.

In all seriousness, research their company and the role. Dive deep so that you can ask them questions that show that you're serious about their company and the role and that you understand about the company and the role you'll be taking. The more questions that show that you're serious about the company, fitting in with a company culture, and so forth will do well for you.

I have a close friend who is one of the most business-savvy people I know. Perhaps the most business savvy person I know. When he was talking with the owner of the company he's with now, and now he's actually now a part owner, he asked if he could spend a day sitting in on some of the business meetings and seeing how the business was run before he started working there. The owner later told him that when he heard him ask that, he knew that my friend was right for the position.

Last edited:
I would also like to pursue the CPCU designation by The Institutes, and have 1/8 of the requirements finished
I think you are ahead of the curve already.

You have already received some solid advice form markthebroker that I would follow.

I would emphasize that you should ask lots of questions, if you do not understand something, don't blow it off - ask for a deeper explanation.

In addition it can never hurt to ask the interviewer about how they got where they are?

Best of Luck

I'm graduating with my BS Finance this December, and am on the job hunt. I was recently invited to a screening interview for an Insurance company sometime in the next few weeks for an Associate/Trainee Underwriting role. I would like to eventually move into a Commercial Lines/Property Insurance Underwriting role, which this company offers (as well as a myriad of other lines). I would also like to pursue the CPCU designation by The Institutes, and have 1/8 of the requirements finished. (I would have pursued the other requirements, but my University only offers 1/8 at this time).

What information should I know going into this? How do I sell that I'm interested in the Insurance industry? What are good weaknesses/strengths to have for an Underwriting position? What do Underwriting Managers/Seniors look for in their Associates/Trainees?

Any and all advice is welcome on this - I feel like I have a firm grasp on Underwriting as a profession, but always appreciate other perspectives. Thanks all!

So... you need to SELL YOURSELF in the interview, right?

All of your academic pursuits and accomplishments already tell that you're interested... but are you PASSIONATE about it?

Why? Start with your WHY.

Here's how: When they ask you "tell me about yourself"... start with your why.

Here's how:
- "In everything I do, I believe..."
- "I want to... so that."

You lead with that... you'll get the job by standing out farther than anyone else.

Btw, if they DON'T pick you... it may be because you're too strong in your belief statement and they may feel threatened by you. Your beliefs should sort people to attract people who love what you're all about... and repel those who don't.

So, if you DON'T get the job, it's a good thing and you would've hated working for those people anyway.

More about The Explanation of Services:

Excellent thread...excellent questions, insight, and perspective.

Congratulations on pursuing the CPCU designation. That certainly is a "distinguishable" for you. I like the questions you are asking.

The fundamentals apply -- learn as much as you can about the specific company, and department. Be educated. Knowledge is power. Harness that power. Execute it. Get very aware and very clear on why you are interested in the insurance industry, and that you chose it, you are pursuing it. Look to the skills that can help someone excel in this position -- you are starting with finance, so look to quantitative, analytical, process, etc. Before, and during the interview, learn as much as you can about the "culture" of the company and department. Have a desire to learn -- about the company, the department, the position, the culture, and more.

And, one thing I suggest to everyone I talk to about a job interview -- ask for a job description! There are innumerable reasons to do this.

Congratulations again and all the best!

Back