How Stupid Do People Think We (Agents) Are?

AZDave

Guru
100+ Post Club
I don't write much personal auto anymore, and refer most quotes to another Indy agent that likes the personal lines. But I do look at and screen them first. Yesterday I get a quote request from my website - guy found me on the 'internet'.

Single guy, 28 with four (4) cars. He told me twice now that he lives alone and is the only driver. Three BMW's, one Lexus, all newer. No business use.

I google his phone number: Funny, a business listing offering Car Share Concierges pulls up!

Why don't people just tell the truth?

Anyone else getting lied to? Please share!

Most of the time they will ask 1 agent at a time so they figure out what to say to the next agent. I love confronting someone with a poor MVR and being told "that's not me" or "I forgot about that"

The lies from people looking for quotes are, to me, less frustrating because you eventually learn how to avoid those people altogether. It's the lies that come up during claims that get to me. I'm pretty much conditioned to assume someone is lying when I hear the word "custom."

Then there's these gems. I had an insured last month back into another car in a parking lot. She went so far into "deny" mode she told the person handling the claim that her car, due to some "malfunction," started up and went into reverse on it's own while she was talking on the phone. The carrier, mortified by the prospect of insuring a vehicle capable of such a thing, is asking for a full inspection of the car by the manufacturer (Honda) and a written statement from them that there is no overlooked defect that could cause such a thing.
Of course, it would all go away if she would just admit she wasn't paying attention and backed into someone. But no, I get, "I would never drive while I'm on the phone, my husband would never let me hear the end of it."

Of course, it would all go away if she would just admit she wasn't paying attention and backed into someone. But no, I get, "I would never drive while I'm on the phone, my husband would never let me hear the end of it."

It is human nature not to want to admit to being wrong or making a mistake. But at no time in my life has the propensity of adult Americans to lie been as thorough going and malignant as it has become in the last few years.

It is human nature not to want to admit to being wrong or making a mistake. But at no time in my life has the propensity of adult Americans to lie been as thorough going and malignant as it has become in the last few years.
"They bring their culture with them." was a harsh thing for him to say. But his point is demonstrated in both the wonderful parts of culture (food, celebration, family), but too it is demonstrated in the less desirable traits (corruption, grab all you can, stick it to the man, run from the law, illegally present). Homelessness is off the charts in LA, SF, LV -- think a gazillion people hiding in this Country may have something to do with the degradation of moral and ethical behavior? Notice the types of truck drivers these days, safety, vehicle conditions, carelessness? Notice in California the police towers that have been erected in Walmart parking lots, and light rail stations? The tent cities in NorCal and SoCal? Berkeley? Do we really want to be the entire southern-North America and South American 'better life' providers? Yes, sure we do. But remember, they bring the life style and culture with them. Drugs, gangs, lawlessness, oppression, violence, government style, uprising, riots, etc. Heck even murders want a better life for their families. At what cost to you?

Last edited:
"They bring their culture with them." was a harsh thing for him to say
Him who? did you attempt to make a comparison between people who don't tell the truth to Insurance agents and the President of the United States? That is one mighty stretch. I see many multiple vehicle policies and ask about licensed drivers. I get, "only me and the misses". I do not go down the rabbit hole about culture, race, or ethnicity. It is just human nature to lie when it comes down to money out of pocket. Please take your remarks elsewhere

Back