How to become an independent licensed insurance agent????work from home?????

Amanda Allen

I am wanting to become a licensed insurance agent in the state of NC . I am wanting to do this while working from home since i homeschool my daughter.
I do have marketing ,customer service, advertising skills . Anyone know where to start or any companies that are work from home to help assist with this??? TIA

Since you are homeschooling your daughter, I assume full time, I expect then you are looking to work from home part-time? If so, I suggest you update the thread title so you can get more relevant and appropriate input.

Trying to build an insurance business part-time is very different then going full-time.

I would love to start pt then as she gets more independent move to ft i really want to make it a career eventually and open a small business of my own one day . Big goals finding ways to reach them is a whole different scenerio lol

I would love to start pt then as she gets more independent move to ft i really want to make it a career eventually and open a small business of my own one day . Big goals finding ways to reach them is a whole different scenerio lol
So are you looking to work for a company as an employee? That's what I get from your quote "...eventually and open a small business of my own one day." I think you'll have a hard time finding work-from home part-time insurance opportunities as an employee. Of course, you could start that business right now as an insurance agent.

In any case, be realistic as to your availability and constraints that you will face with also being the primary educator of your daughter.

Amanda, What type of insurance license are you seeking? Are you trying to sell life & health related insurance or property & casualty lines? You can reach me through my website, if you would like to talk. I may have some relevant thoughts for you.

Re: I am wanting to become a licensed insurance agent in the state of NC . I am wanting to do this while working from home since i homeschool my daughter.
I do have marketing ,customer service, advertising skills .

Well i did find a company tht is work from home and they help you get your license so now im going to look more into that . They train you but i figure that may be a good start. I will have to look more into that.

Well i did find a company tht is work from home and they help you get your license so now im going to look more into that . They train you but i figure that may be a good start. I will have to look more into that.

Red Flags are:

Companies advertising "opportunities",
helping you get a license (they are looking for newbies for a reason).
the people that are going to start PMing you
or will say "don't post what I am saying on the forum"
wants to set up "training" meetings with your friends and family.
< I am sure others can add to this>

This is a great career, however, many new agents are taken advantage of.

Part time as a newbie is very tough, from home with no experience even tougher. Look for someone that is heavy on training and hand holding. Do not be afraid to bail if they are not what you want. When you find a good one you may have found a great career. I did.

Good luck

edit: also be truthful with yourself on what kind of learner you are. Books, internet videos or ride alongs (that is me, i have to see it done).

Last edited:
I think this is a good time to quote a conversation with another agent that I had.

I told him "You know, this is a great business to get into."

He corrected me. "No, you're wrong. This is a terrible business to get into, but it's a great business to be in"

That about sums it up.

I am wanting to become a licensed insurance agent in the state of NC . I am wanting to do this while working from home since i homeschool my daughter.
I do have marketing ,customer service, advertising skills . Anyone know where to start or any companies that are work from home to help assist with this??? TIA

Without any experience in selling or servicing P&C insurance products, I do not believe you will find any real opportunities to work from home. However, if experienced and licensed - totally different, as Virtual Assistants are becoming more popular and utilized in the servicing end of this business.

Good Luck to you!

Back