From an Insurance Broker to an Insurance Consultant/Advisor..

InsConsultant2B

Hello!
I’ve been a (mostly) P&C broker (some H&W/Benefits) for a long time. I’m researching how to become an insurance consultant/risk management consultant.
I’d really appreciate any advice, ideas, resources , etc that you would share with me , please?
Thank You!
IC2B

Hello!
I’ve been a (mostly) P&C broker (some H&W/Benefits) for a long time. I’m researching how to become an insurance consultant/risk management consultant.
I’d really appreciate any advice, ideas, resources , etc that you would share with me , please?
Thank You!
IC2B

I mean, if you're working in p&c and helping your clients, then you are an insurance consultant/risk management consultant, and you get paid by a back end commission on the p&c sales, and that's how you make your money.

What are you really trying to do here?

I mean, if you're working in p&c and helping your clients, then you are an insurance consultant/risk management consultant, and you get paid by a back end commission on the p&c sales, and that's how you make your money.

What are you really trying to do here?

He's in California. He's obviously getting prepped for when my glorious plans spring into action. You could learn a thing or two from this guy

Hello!
Thank You!
IC2B

Okay, let's get our nerd on.

For California, there is no such thing as an insurance consultant as a license.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Producer Types and Requirements

The closest we have is a Life and Disability Insurance Analyst. This is a license where, for a fee charged to the client, you will analyze their current coverage and give advice. You can still earn commissions on new sales, but that's outside the scope of being an analyst. Other states that have similar licenses may call them an insurance counselor or insurance consultant, depending on the state.

This part is probably different from what you're looking for, but I'll leave it anyway:

Now, if you're just talking about how to POSITION yourself and how you CONDUCT yourself... that's a different topic.

Brian Tracy is a huge advocate of positioning ourselves as consultants rather than as salespeople.
  • View Yourself As A Consultant
  • Approach Them As Clients (Rather Than As Just Customers)
  • Ask Questions And Listen Carefully
  • Become An Expert In Your Field
  • Differentiate Yourself From Your Competitors
[EXTERNAL LINK] - Consulting Versus Selling

Google did provide me with this though:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Career/how-to-become-management-consultant-risk-management_KO14,51.htm

Remember that for insurance, you're in the risk TRANSFER business, not just 'risk management'.

Okay, let's get our nerd on.

For California, there is no such thing as an insurance consultant as a license.

cebbbe7c60b2441293bf2daf4e6a5bf6.gif

Back