How to begin a career in insurance sales

Traditional classroom is mandatory in Wisconsin for pre-licensing and (I believe) for all CE.

I see nothing on the Kansas Insurance Department's website that mentions pre-license class requirements. They only say what is covered on the exams and where to take them. They do offer suggestions on where to obtain help, but say nothing about mandatory participation.

It is my conclusion that all I need to do is take the exams and pass them. Anyone know if I am correct about Kansas?

My First Year

As a captured agent. I don't regret it because of the aforementioned reasons, the large agencies train you. But, if you have 1/2 a brain ( I think I do :-) you'll see that the "managers" are indeed churning and burning you, your contacts, the way you write business and what you do. It's for them not you. And that's not a way to build a business based on referrals!

Meaning I've walked away from small commisions after screaming fights with my "manager" but I got referrals for doing the proverbial "right thing." Those clients refer me.

The manager was upset because he was up for some monthly award and wanted to push me to make his mark. Sound familiar anyone? He could not care less what the outcome was for me.

Finally - doing your own internet marketing at large agencies is a no no. They convieniently use state compliancy rules and stretch the issue to keep their thumb on an agents ability to market themselves. They of course want to do it themselves and YOU could set up a web site as easily as anyone - and they know it.

I do enjoy this business but I guess you can tell the captive agent or large agency format ain't for me! If might be different for others.

retread said:
I see nothing on the Kansas Insurance Department's website that mentions pre-license class requirements. They only say what is covered on the exams and where to take them. They do offer suggestions on where to obtain help, but say nothing about mandatory participation.

It is my conclusion that all I need to do is take the exams and pass them. Anyone know if I am correct about Kansas?

http://www.kansaspia.org/education.html

Well it looks like Kansas does not required Class Participation.

Commissions!?!?!

New to site and looking for detailed info on commissions...i.e.

I understand you have to work hard (45 hrs/wk or more, always meeting new people and driving the sale, follow up, referrals, several prospecting areas, etc). My question is what would someone expect to earn during yr 1, 3, 5 and 10. (this would be working with agency then going on own)...this would be someone that typically earns well above industry average (top 10%). Am in commerical real estate brokerage and earned: 1st yr $50k, now in 3rd yr $150k...

thanks

In regards to pay:

If you treat this bussiness like a job, thats exactly what you will get... hating it, dreading mondays, making okay money, and over worked...

If you treat it like a business and take responsibility and actually enjoy it, you will be as successful as you want to be...

I have heard this on this forum, so sorry for misquoting it, but the idea was: This bussiness can be the hardest $35,000 per year opportunity or the easiest $200,000...

I would say if your honestly putting in 40 hours a week and by putting I mean on the phone setting appointments or doing presentations, and your not making $65,000 a year by the 3rd year your doing something wrong or sales just isnt for you...

just my two cents, and with the weak dollar its probably worth .75 cents now...

Good Luck

If all I'm making after three years is $65k a year.... I'm going back into the drug business.

That's it? $65K?

What is an "Inurance Guy"? Am I missing something because of the late hour.... or were up late and missed the "s"?

If all I'm making after three years is $65k a year.... I'm going back into the drug business.

That's it? $65K?

What is an "Inurance Guy"? Am I missing something because of the late hour.... or were up late and missed the "s"?

You would be xuprised... I have talked to agentx who were ok with making that kind of money... it bogglex my mind...

and for mixxing that letter .... im actually mixxing my ring finger on my left hand... makex it hard to type :embarrassed:

Back