How to Define Non-competing After Leaving Current Company?

grace_info

I am not sure if I signed a non-competing agreement with current company. In case, I leave current comany, can I still work in financial service and insurance industry as indenpent agent?

As for customers with current office, if they only have one product, for example life, can I do other products for them, such as P&C, health? Is this a kind of non-competing?:nah:

I would not worry about it, they can't stop you from earning a living. Just do not go out a replace their business. When I went out on my own, after leaving a large eastern mutual I had my attorney look over my non-compete and he told me most of them are really not enforceable as long as you are not replacing a lot of business and people can deal with who they want. My genenal rule was if the client was already with the company prior to myself I did not contact them, if they were my client I serviced them, wrote new policies etc. After a call from the local manager I told him to f&&k off and leave my clients alone. I never heard back again from him

Last edited:
I would not worry about it, they can't stop you from earning a living. Just do not go out a replace their business. When I went out on my own, after leaving a large eastern mutual I had my attorney look over my non-compete and he told me most of them are really not enforceable as long as you are not replacing a lot of business and people can deal with who they want. My genenal rule was if the client was already with the company prior to myself I did not contact them, if they were my client I serviced them, wrote new policies etc. After a call from the local manager I told him to f&&k off and leave my clients alone. I never heard back again from him

You better stick to golfing before you give out legal advice you dont know about.

Ever heard of trade secrets now?

I am not sure if I signed a non-competing agreement with current company. In case, I leave current comany, can I still work in financial service and insurance industry as indenpent agent?

As for customers with current office, if they only have one product, for example life, can I do other products for them, such as P&C, health? Is this a kind of non-competing?:nah:

When you leave they will perform an exit interview and remind you if there is a non-compete in place that you signed as part of your contract.

it doesn't really matter how you or I define non-compete, it matters how they do.

You better stick to golfing before you give out legal advice you dont know about.

Ever heard of trade secrets now?

If you ever seen me golf my no compete advise is better:goofy:
Trade secrets!!! Your selling insurance not making coke. What I stated was what my attorney told me and it worked. I have been doing this since 1986 and never seen one enforced, and never seen one on the securites side of the business.

Last edited:
If you ever seen me golf my no compete advise is better:goofy:
Trade secrets!!! Your selling insurance not making coke. What I stated was what my attorney told me and it worked. I have been doing this since 1986 and never seen one enforced, and never seen one on the securites side of the business.

First of all, its ADVICE,

Second of all, then you don't know what going on in the industry, yes, Non-competes are fading, into the wording and terminology of Trade secrets......

Go hit another bucket of balls. :no::goofy::swoon:

First of all, its ADVICE,

Second of all, then you don't know what going on in the industry, yes, Non-competes are fading, into the wording and terminology of Trade secrets......

Go hit another bucket of balls. :no::goofy::swoon:

Sorry ADVICE!! I'm typing this on my ipad which is not easy to do. Since the first non-competes were a joke maybe the trade secret terminology ones are different. Maybe you should go hit some balls! Over 1900 posts??::SLEEP:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For entertainment purposes I checked out the trade secret non-compete agreement. I would love to see a company try to
enforce that, your selling insurance not making coke. Insurance
companies have people sign these to intimidate you, in California they are illegal. Like I said unless you are replacing a lot of business they are a joke including the trade secret agreement.:D If I worked for a company, quit, opened a office 5 miles down the street, did not replace business but some clients from the old company came in and bought additional polices or invested money do you REALLY think a lawyer would waste his time? And if you did, do you really want to put your clients or should I say ex-clients thru a court proceding of why they stopped in my office. People can buy from who the want and a non-compete aggrement won't help.
Time to have a coke and hit some balls:D

Last edited:

For most non competes, its OK to add policies when customers contact you. Don't replace business in the first 2 yrs.

Ever wonder what the real reason CEO's get a "golden parachute"? Its to pay for the CEO's time after he leaves so he doesn't go to a competitor. That is a real enforceable non compete.

Are they going to be paying you after you leave?

Doubt it.

Last edited:
So I currently work for GEICO, but am looking to become an IA. I certainly don't keep any policy information, if anyone came to me from GEICO it would be completely of their own accord, could I somehow get into trouble for this?

Sorry, I am new to all this and just trying to understand anything I may face when I make the move to IA.

Thanks

Back