How to Define Non-competing After Leaving Current Company?

I think it's important to understand that regardless of the advice you get here, anyone can file a lawsuit for almost any reason.

Can you get in trouble when you leave Geico and customers, on their own accord, call to you switch? Yes. Will you? No one here will ever be able to answer that.

Is there a time frame when the chance of being sued ends? Or is that as long as I sell insurance in the area? Also, what if I was out of the area where I worked, if I was in Virginia Beach, VA and moved to Roanoke, VA, or would the place even mater?

Thank you again for replying, it is appreciated.

Non-legal advice:

You need to really rattle someone's cage or show up on their radar to be sued.

If, for example, you left on bad terms - told off your manager with a "screw this place" mentality, that would rattle their cage. If you leave in a very professional manner, that's a plus.

Enough of Geico's customers would have to cancel for it to show up on their radar. How many? Don't know. Let's say your wrote 500 customers while at your office. If a few followed you and cancelled, likely that doesn't get their attention.

Another note. If more and more of their customers are cancelling and going with you after you leave but not "a lot" all at the same time, they'd likely fire a "cease and desist" warning over your bough. Then the ball's in your court.

However, if they notice people cancelled "left and right" after you leave they could possibly skip that step, fire off a letter to your DOI and file an immediate suit.

Thank you again, I probably will not have to worry about it. I will be leaving on good terms and probably won't even be picking things up as far as starting my own business immediately, so I am probably safe.

I'd really watch email communications to your customers. First of all, they may not be your customers. But such emails would be admitted into evidence.

This would not be a good move:

"To all of my clients

I'm announcing that I have just become an independent agent and can now more better serve your needs. I now have an array of very competitive products....."

.....not good.

Good idea, again, I won't be taking or even talking to any policyholders once I leave, I do not save customer information even with the ones that love me and only want me to help them (even though I am in a call center), once I leave GEICO any contact from any customer will be strictly coincidental.

Thank you again for the advise and feedback.

Hey Golfnut, You are really out of touch dude,

Trade secrets, consists of any info about a client is now on the companies servers, and they feel that is their property, you take any of that info, you just violated their trade secrets....

Who has the deeper pockets to run a lawsuit, if you piss them off, they will do what they can to break you,

See, you dont have a clue whats going on in the industry....

Hey Red Blooded American you have not added any useful advice to this post, starting with your first comment of here we go again. As far as knowledge about the industry, there is no doubt I have more than you!! Knowing about non-compete contracts are a complete WASTE of time unless you need to sign one, then just get a lawyer, like I stated I did in my first post. May I ask, what is your obsession with them? As I said you cannot just go out and replace your old companies business but that comment you made about the client info on the company server is confusing since the writing agent provided the info in the first place. May I ask if an agent signs a trade secret contract, can he go out and open his own office, and once again NOT replace any business, not call old clients, but talk to any old client who calls him and write new business or invest their money if they ask?

Last edited:
Hey Red Blooded American you have not added any useful advice to this post, starting with your first comment of here we go again. As far as knowledge about the industry, there is no doubt I have more than you!! Knowing about non-compete contracts are a complete WASTE of time unless you need to sign one, then just get a lawyer, like I stated I did in my first post. May I ask, what is your obsession with them? As I said you cannot just go out and replace your old companies business but that comment you made about the client info on the company server is confusing since the writing agent provided the info in the first place. May I ask if an agent signs a trade secret contract, can he go out and open his own office, and once again NOT replace any business, not call old clients, but talk to any old client who calls him and write new business or invest their money if they ask?

You are better off to ignore some members. If you are not replacing biz I would not worry about a non compete.

Back