How to get into the insurance job field?

php111

Hi, I would like to ask the agents: I am 35 years old and receive fixed income my whole life, never worked, do not have experience. I am interested in working in the insurance field. I live in PA. What do I have too do and where do I start? I understand by reading the insurance government website for PA and one has too take 24 hours of online courses such as the Basic Online for Health Only from Kaplan than the exam than other steps as well, does that sound correct? After I have all of those steps completed and what would be my next step? Before I take the online courses from Kaplan and what do I have too do? From Kaplan for the online courses and which is preferred between Basic Online and Essential? Thanks!

What do I have too do and where do I start? I understand by reading the insurance government website for PA and one has too take 24 hours of online courses such as the Basic Online for Health Only from Kaplan than the exam than other steps as well, does that sound correct?

Pretty much. You've got to get your insurance education from somewhere. And I'm thinking that an MBA from the Wharton School's Insurance and Risk Management program is not in the cards for you.

After I have all of those steps completed and what would be my next step?

Get licensed.

Before I take the online courses from Kaplan and what do I have too do?

Insurance education is the first step so I don't think there is anything to do before that, other than decide you want to do it and come up with the money for the courses and the license fees.

which is preferred between Basic Online and Essential?

I'll defer that question to others.

The first step you are already taking... research... after that definitely get your license and Kaplan has always been good to me.

The classroom is ALWAYS the best choice, but if you are doing the online I will tell you the MOST valuable asset in the Kaplan course is the QBank. You get that in the basic, and essential I believe. For us, I pay for the basic, and whomever I hire pays the difference if they want the live or the essential... needless to say, most take the basic.

From there you can look for a brokerage/agency who are ALWAYS looking for salespeople and consultants, a captive agency... somewhere to gain experience, or you can go independent and start contracting with carriers directly... but an education as Jack says is going to be imperative to your success.

Get licensed and then decide what type of insurance you want to sell. Read this forum extensively and you will gain much insight. Then find some place you can start whe they will train you.

Thanks everyone! So it looks like I would need an MBA degree in Risk Management first, correct? I was thinking it was just getting a license's, I did not know an MBA degree was required.

Oh my word. If THAT'S what you got out of adjusterjack's post, then you should quit now.

You don't need an MBA, but you do need to understand people, finance, psychology, economics, sociology, philosophy, marketing, management, and insurance. I'd say that most of the knowledge you need is "common sense", but your post makes me wonder how common that sense really is.

Here's the question I'd be asking first: Why have you never worked and received fixed income (I assume government benefits/programs)?

Getting into insurance is relatively easy, but staying in, selling, and keeping your business afloat... is the challenge. It's practically the EXACT OPPOSITE of most jobs. Most other good careers require degrees and/or internships. Insurance is one where you get started, get "on-the-job" training for YEARS... and eventually you MIGHT know what you're doing.

PHP111, there is a lot of sarcasm in this forum. The PhD comment was one. Gotta be thick skinned!

If I were you (which I was with no experience whatsoever as a insurance agent), I would start captive where you get free training. I started almost 6 years ago in health and still captive and love what I do. I chose health because my prior career was in the healthcare field. Heck, there are quite a few companies where you can work from home via computer/webinar/phone sales, no matter what type of insurance you want to specialize in.

Decide what you want to sell and focus on that only. Being captive you will get help and training. Being independent means you are on your own, for the most part. Good luck.

Back