Humana Standalone Dental Insurance

dgoldenz

Virginia
This was just introduced in VA a few weeks ago. Had two clients sign up yesterday and got an e-mail back telling me they didn't want to sign up because it is a one-year contract even when paid monthly. I called Humana today and one of the reps confirmed this was true, but none of that was conveyed to me as a broker. I was specifically told they "don't like to advertise that" so people won't trash the product. GMAFB.

Me looking bad to a client for not disclosing that type of information is much more important to me than a lousy $35 commission.

Last edited:
The dental product is offered at cost saving copays. If there was not a year contract then the client would jump on and then jump off once his work was done. There are no waiting periods so it makes sense that the client is on the hook for a year. It is not different the Delta Dental HMO which has the client pay for the year in advance. Humana should have told you and for that I am sorry because I like to be inform my client right the first time.

The dental product is offered at cost saving copays. If there was not a year contract then the client would jump on and then jump off once his work was done. There are no waiting periods so it makes sense that the client is on the hook for a year. It is not different the Delta Dental HMO which has the client pay for the year in advance. Humana should have told you and for that I am sorry because I like to be inform my client right the first time.

I don't disagree with the one-year contract, I disagree with them not telling me up front and hiding it on the application until the user gets to the last screen once payment information has already been entered. It's not mentioned in the brochure anywhere either. Anthem's standalone dental insurance does not require a one-year contract and is only about $15/month more for a single person with a better network and an actual benefit for complex care after the waiting period.

Last edited:
I would rather have a 2 hour root canal then sell an individual dental plan....

I often think the same thing. Nothing more irritating than having to answer a million questions about dental or vision insurance for $20 or 30...none of it is really insurance either. People have a hard time grasping that idea.

99 out of 100 telephone calls for ind dental need work done NOW. Once you tell them the bad news that there are 3 month, and 12 month waits for basic and major services, they are upset that they can't enroll and pay 1 months premium and then hammer the insurance company for $5000 worth of work. Life is just so unfair.

they are upset that they can't enroll and pay 1 months premium and then hammer the insurance company for $5000 worth of work. Life is just so unfair.

Exactly!

These Dental Insurance Carriers are DISCRIMINATING against the poor people with pre-existing conditions.

We need dental insurance reform NOW!

LOL

I sold two Humana dental plans last fall and had it out with the Humana rep because they listed scores of Dentists here in Charlotte on their website, when there is only one (most of the others have retired or moved)..... and he does not do any surgery. Closest was about an hour away.

Never again. Learned my lesson.

I would rather have a 2 hour root canal then sell an individual dental plan....

Isn't that the truth. In the countless times I've quoted a dental plan, I've sold one.

ONE.

I don't even bother with it. It's a complete waste of time and energy...

Back